Looking to start an experimental/sport flying club

There's hundreds of flying clubs around the country that own and manage aircraft for their members. Aside from the camaraderie, clubs make flying more affordable.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Re: Looking to start an experimental/sport flying club

Post by FastEddieB »

Cluemeister wrote:I always liked the old saying:

Obstacles aren't put in your way to stop you, they are put there to determine how much you want something.
Good point.

I like to say, "One can always find reasons not to do things".

And I'm reminded of the dialog from "A League Of Their Own":

Dottie Hinson: It just got too hard.
Jimmy Dugan: It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Well we have aircraft now so are starting to structure our club. We won't be able to do it where we had planned as they have gotten so busy over the past year there is no room for us.

Anyone who thinks GA is dying should try finding a hangar to rent in Southern AZ.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

What aircraft do you have? How did you arrange the purchase?
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

If there was money to be made in building airports and hangars , there would be plenty of both - just as there are plenty of private storage facilities.
The only explanation is that majority of existing installations are non-profitable and heavily subsidized one way or another ( basically by taxes of some sort ) and thus no private entity can reasonably compete with that so you end up with an equivalent of socialized healthcare - kind of sort of works but it is always suffering from too high demand and not enough resources.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

cimmaronjim wrote:Well we have aircraft now so are starting to structure our club. We won't be able to do it where we had planned as they have gotten so busy over the past year there is no room for us.

Anyone who thinks GA is dying should try finding a hangar to rent in Southern AZ.
I just looked at your website. Looks like you have done an excellent job in thinking this through and setting it up. How many members do you have so far? I wish you were located in Atlanta.
Retired from flying.
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Thanks Tim, we are just starting out. We have 4 probable members so far and also a couple of prospects but we don't even have a home yet, and haven't seriously got the word out.

My Dad found a barn find Ercoupe and over the summer we picked it up from Missouri. Alongside our A&P, we have been working on it and it is just about ready. We found another one in Kentucky. We think it will be ready in about 6 months to a year.

We also just got an incredible deal on a Stitts Playboy, We don't think it will take much to get it airworthy.

As soon as we find a place, we will get up and running.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

My dad had a highly modified Stits Playboy that he built. It was finished in 1967, and he sold it sometime mid 1970's. I remember riding in the airplane as a kid. Last I heard it was in a museum in North Dakota, I think. We have a picture of me standing on the wing when I was 4 or 5 years old. My oldest son saw the picture when he was young, and thought it was him. He was a little puzzled though, because he couldn't remember having the picture taken.
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

From our facebook page

Update. We have acquired a hangar at Ryan field (KRYN), so barring any unforeseen issues, that is where we will be based.
Our sport pilots will need to get a tower endorsement, but I imagine most will want that anyway.
3376H has been flown and reports are positive, but we are sending the cylinders off for overhaul to comply with an AD.
We will be announcing our first club meeting soon. So stay tuned.
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

3376H is out of annual and ready to go.

We have a membership structure. No initial buy in!!

$150 per month includes 2 hours flight time. Additional hours at $50. All hours wet.

Unbeatable low cost flying of a classic Ercoupe LSA.

Ryan Field Tucson AZ