How much faster is a 172?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: How much faster is a 172?

Post by MrMorden »

All Jack's advice is good, but I would mention that you don't have to go with a Part 23 airplane to get instrument capability. There are lots of experimental airplanes that are instrument capable. Many RVs and the like cruise in instrument conditions regularly.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Nomore767 wrote:You would be wise to think ahead and find a hangar for your new plane. Again, it can take months/years to work your way up the list to get a fully enclosed hangar so you need to look into it asap.
Excellent advice. I paid a $200 deposit to just get on the waitlist at my home field then they told me there were only 89 people ahead of me!
Aviation Real Estate Broker
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Flocker wrote:
Nomore767 wrote:You would be wise to think ahead and find a hangar for your new plane. Again, it can take months/years to work your way up the list to get a fully enclosed hangar so you need to look into it asap.
Excellent advice. I paid a $200 deposit to just get on the waitlist at my home field then they told me there were only 89 people ahead of me!
They made you PAY to get on a list? Time to pick another airport. :x
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

The hangars are owned and run by DeKalb County. Need I say more?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
theoarno

Post by theoarno »

I have flown several mid 80's 172's and cruise runs at about 107 kts indicated give or take 5 knots at 3500MSL. Truth is a good LSA that can hit maximum allowed speed and some can, will out run most 172's out there in the pattern. I fly a PA-22/150 Tri-Pacer and I get about 110 MPH indicated at 2400 rpm. (that's MPH). That plane was cheap to buy at 17 K and I have a total of 2400 dollars into 3 annuals. But they can be expensive to recover. If you pay to get it done it is between 25 and 37 K depending on what they have to fix. Some of them wind up with rust issues near the back door if they were stored outside for extended periods. However for 35K rebuild and 25k for a fresh engine and 15k for new RF equipment you can have an almost new, certified airplane for 82K including your purchase price. You could buy the AC fly it for 2 years to get your initial investment and then rebuild it and fly it for another 20 years.
A lot of advertisements will say that their LSA can carry two adults and bags with full fuel but most can't. Not American adults any way. If you are going to travel for more than one night it will be hard to get bags for two down to 50lbs. That's were a traditional GA aircraft exceeds the LSA. You can carry suitcases for two along with an ice chest and camera gear and still be 150lbs underweight and within CG.

This is anecdotal but here goes. I have flown all of these
mid 70s 152 cruise 90 kts 5.5 gph cost 25k
mid 80s 172 cruise 107 kts 8.5 gph cost 37k
mid 50s PA-22 cruise 98 kts 8 gph cost 19K also for time building in can throttle back to 2300 and get 7.2 gph and same a few bucks

2010 Remos GX Cruise 110 kts 4.5 GHP 90k