Kentucky Ercoupe Driver, er, pilot

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

eidolon

Kentucky Ercoupe Driver, er, pilot

Post by eidolon »

It has been a good while since I have posted on this forum. Since last time (probably over 2 years ago) I have moved my wife, me and my Ercoupe 415c to Morehead, KY. I hanger my 'coupe at Clyde Thomas airport (KSYM) nearby. Now that I have completed my new house and we have settled in, I find myself missing the old LSA community and some of the fellow 'Coupers I knew back in Northern Virginia. KSYM is a beautiful modern non-towered airport near a large manmade lake in the Daniel Boone National forest, but we have no LSA presence here except for me and one other guy with a powered parachute. Our airport board pres owns an Evector Sports Star, but he is a PP and seems to spend more time flying his larger plane. I am looking to meet other LSA pilots and/or Ercoupe owners in the Kentucky, and Southern Ohio/Indiana area.
hirschr

Re: Kentucky Ercoupe Driver, er, pilot

Post by hirschr »

I fly a 415-E out of Collegedale, TN (KFGU). There are a few other Ercoupes in the Chattanooga area too. Looks like KSYM is pretty good hike ~200 miles from here. But if you are ever in the area give a hollar! Are you an EOC member?
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Welcome!

For those who may have missed it before...

https://youtu.be/oOrpEv0ZRtg

That's hrschr and his Ercoupe.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
eidolon

Post by eidolon »

Yes, I am an EOC member. I asked someone on the EOC staff if there is an Ercoupe chapter in this area, but never heard back. Fortunately, I have a mechanic here who works on Ercoupes and is also qualified to instruct on them- he did my last bi Annual. I am not really familiar with the E model. Is it set up similar to the C? Eddie, you and I have communicated before - back when I was still a student and was considering buying a Sky Arrow in Maryland. I later found a CFI who instructs in an Ercoupe and eventually bought mine from a guy in New Jersey. Only wish I had done it much sooner. It would have saved me a lot of $$ getting my license.
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

The 415-E has the split elevator and 1400lb gross weight. I trained in a C, they fly the same for the most part. Welcome back, and enjoy your Ercoupe! I'd love to see a picture of your bird, Eye Candy could always use a few more Ercoupes pics:)
eidolon

Post by eidolon »

I am planning to put the split tail on mine soon to bring it up to the 1320 gross weight for an LSA. I will post a picture as soon as I dig one out and figure out how to post. Are you a member of a local EOC chapter? where do you hanger? I flew mine quite a bit when I first got it. Down to clearwater fL one winter, and also back and forth to northern VA from time to time.
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

My Ercoupe is hangered at FGU (Collegedale). I'm not aware of a local EOC chapter that is active in the area.
srbell

Post by srbell »

Hey eidolon, I'm just down the road from you about an hour - in Huntington, WV. I'm a private pilot but haven't been active for a few years. I'm looking to get back in the air soon, and possibly go the light sport route. I hope to acquire a plane around the spring of next year.
There's doesn't seem to be a big light sport presence in the Huntington area either, but there are a few. A friend of mine, a local CFI, has a Cub, and there is a PPC that flies from KHTW. I've seen a smaller light sport with fabric wings flying around here a couple times lately, but was unable to tell what it was. About all I could tell is it was within the class D airspace at KHTS.
eidolon

Post by eidolon »

I just saw your reply. I haven't been very active all summer (too hot!) but plan to get in some serious flying practice soon - hopefully this week. I have flown quite a few different LS planes, but finally settled on the Ercoupe. Mine has been upgraded a lot and I am very happy with it for my uses. Happy to show it to you and give you a ride sometime if interested. I don't do class C, but have landed at Ashland a few times. Feel free to PM me if you like.