2016 Expo

If you're interested in all things Sport Pilot/Light Sport Aircraft, this is the place to be every January! Mark your calendars. http://www.sport-aviation-expo.com

Moderator: drseti

Cluemeister

Re: 2016 Expo

Post by Cluemeister »

Here is my report on the expo.

Decent weather on Thursday, and got to see a lot of aircraft. Knew the weather was going to get worse over the weekend, so we focused on outside displays. Saw the Sportcruiser (see Richard's picture), and wife really liked the low wing. As background, it has been a lot of work to get my wife on board with the idea of me becoming a pilot. It was great to have her at the show and get her thoughts. I have had my eyes on high wing aircraft (mostly for ease of entry, plus I like the looks of the CTLS). So I was surprised when she took a liking to the Sportcruiser. Then we see the Bristell, and she really likes that even more. She thinks it looks like a real serious plane, and likes the fit and finish of the aircraft. We move on, and I show her the RV12, and the Jabiru. Love the company behind the RV12, but no chute, and love the storage space in the Jabiru, but no chute. Go to the CTLS booth, and wife not as enamored as I am.

Then we head over to Tecnam. Their hangar has about 8 aircraft in it. What a great display of aircraft, from the Eaglet to the twin engine 2006t. Really like their stuff. Really liked the P2008. Nice fit and finish on that aircraft. Eaglet seemed a little tight, and just felt more entry level.

So we head back to the Bristell booth, and decide to take a demo flight. What a beautiful aircraft. Spacious, and handles beautifully. Did I mention incredibly quiet? The Bristell had the 912is, and the Bristell guys also mentioned it might have had a special muffler system to reduce noise. I get done the demo flight, and my wife agrees to go up in the plane as well. That is a major achievement!

Thursday night we have a meet up dinner. What a great night. It was so good to meet all of you sport pilots and have a conversation about what you fly, and what your mission is. It really was an eye opening experience for me. Specifically, many pilots and/or flight schools have discouraged me from getting sport pilot, insisting that the private pilot is the way to go. Meeting sport pilots who are happy with their choice, and explaining how they fly regularly, was terrific. I can't say enough about how that dinner had a major impact on my thought process. In addition, when I mentioned buying a plane and training in it, I didn't get a look like you think I'm crazy. You guys said "that's a great plan." Very exciting to hear that!

The next day is Friday we go to the show, and turns out it's closed. Oh well. Still needed a fix, so we go back to Tecnam. Richard had the same idea, as we bump into him and his friend (who also owns a Sportcruiser). More great conversation about missions and planes.

Saturday back to the show. Mid 50's and very windy, the tents are flapping like crazy. The only one flying is the Cub, and even then just for the morning.

Ran into Jason Schappert on the way to the Runway Cafe, and told him how much I enjoy his youtube videos. He was very gracious.

One more trip back to the CTLS booth. Sit in the CTLS, I really like it. Wife is warming up to the CTLS. More progress!

Didn't attend any forums, but with the show closed Friday, that compressed our plans. Did go to the inside displays, and I really liked Garmin's stuff.

That's all for now!
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

Quick question. Was the Sling 2 from The Airplane Factory there and did anybody get to see it and perhaps take a demo flight? Would be interested in feedback on that particular plane.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

I did not see the Sling 2 there. I may have missed it, maybe others saw it. For low wing, I saw the Rans, the Evektor Harmony and Sportstar max, the Sting, Vans RV12, Tecnam Astore, Sportcruiser, Arion Lightning, Bristell.
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

Thank you. Looks like Rans has put the S-19LS back into S-LSA production again. What did you think of it when you saw it? For safety reasons I happen to prefer the sliding canopy rather than the pop up canopy.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Didn't look too much at the Rans. Wife was too busy drooling over the Bristell. :)

Maybe Richard can elaborate!
designrs

Post by designrs »

Regrettably I did not get to see Rans. I was only on the main aircraft display part of the show grounds for less than two hours, on a "mission" to see a few specific aircraft.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

c162pilot wrote:Thank you. Looks like Rans has put the S-19LS back into S-LSA production again. What did you think of it when you saw it? For safety reasons I happen to prefer the sliding canopy rather than the pop up canopy.
I rather like the Rans S-19 because of the sliding canopy and the fuel in wing tanks plus it's 24 gallons.,..and I own a Vans RV -12 SLSA.

On the other hand Vans is bigger than Rans and more experienced in SLSA production.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Nomore767 wrote: On the other hand Vans is bigger than Rans and more experienced in SLSA production.
Vans has produced more SLSA aircraft than Rans by 13 according to the June 2015 chart by Dan Johnson, but that is not the whole story.

Rans has primarily been building aircraft that are LSA before there was a definition of LSA by the FAA. Their S7-C was type certified by the FAA in the primary category in 2001. They started building their first airplane which would be considered a LSA by todays standard in 1982.

While Vans has been around for a long time they didn't start designing and building LSA aircraft until 2008.
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Enjoyed meeting everyone for dinner Thursday night. Special thanks to Eddie and Karen for getting me to and from the Inn on the Lakes. There were beginning pilots to very experienced aviators in the group. It was busy and fairly loud in the restaurant so conversation was not the easiest. If next year we find a quieter more relaxed setting I would like that.

I am always surprised how many people I talk with say they read this or that on sport pilot talk. There are only a few that post but many more that read and do not post. I appreciate all I have learned here and want to encourage others to not just read but ask questions because if you are wondering likely many others are also! This site and the members that post have a larger influence than they likely realize. It was nice to meet up with some of the posting members.

Mark
designrs

Post by designrs »

As many know, AirBoss provided the ATC for the Sebring Expo.
George Cline was especially helpful in providing information pre-event to clarify the NOTAM of ATC procedures. He has reached out asking for comments and feedback on your experience.

Please see below and take a moment to comment either here and/or directly to AirBoss.
Thank you!

From George:

"I hope you enjoyed the Expo (except for the winds and weather). Can you ask your friends if they had any comments about the procedures and the controlling at the Expo. We are always trying to improve to make it an enjoyable time for all. Air Traffic Control should not be stressful and especially at an Expo…

Thanks,
George

George Cline
AirBossInc
336-337-8183
http://www.airbossinc.com/
[email protected]"
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

We chose not to give demos at the airshow this year because of some of the show off and "loose" flying that has been allowed to take place at this event. Its not only Sebring where this happens. As most of you know there was a fatal accident in sebring 2014.
I did not witness any of that this year and we may consider flying again next year. I did see a couple very slow and steep climbs that looked unrecoverable if the engine failed. As usual its only a few offenders that makes it dangerous. I also understand that the desire to show what your aircraft can do.
Personally I have flown enough in the airshow environment and although Shannon was still willing he has since changed his mind also.
From what I could tell air boss did a fine job. Its just the air show environment.

Mark
designrs

Post by designrs »

Thanks for the feedback Mark. Sorry to hear demos were rolled back this year. You didn't miss much with the weather. Glad all are feeling positive for next year.

By the way, from what I understand the fatal at 2015 was due to a something like a trim tab assembly failure, in a pusher amphibious aircraft with a possibility of high rearward CG under unusual circumstances.
* This information is not verified, or guaranteed to be accurate. Check NTSB for official investigation reports. *

I only heard of one company demo that could possibly fall into the category of flying too hot, maybe.
Most aircraft reps are pretty cautious don't you think?

Of course, airshows always add risk just by the number attending and flying.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
designrs

Post by designrs »

Another consideration is that different types of aircraft will want to demo different things, resulting in different flight patterns. STOL aircraft will probabably demonstrate maximum climb, gyros will tend to "hover" around a bit, etc.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Reply to Mark's post from AirBoss:

I am not a member, but I understand what he was saying. You can pass on my reply if you like.

Because of the fatal accident, we made the demo pattern wider and the aircraft were restricted from making too step of a turn back in. We limited all low passes to at or above 300’. If we saw someone pushing the limit, we advised them and if they did it again, we put them on the ground. We did have the Air Ops director speak to some of the demos and again explain the changes and altitude requirements. A lot of the pilots did not know we were expanding the demo pattern and it took them by surprise. There are also some other changes coming next year. It is a continuing learning experience and as we know some pilots will push the limits to show their aircraft.
Thanks
George

George Cline
AirBossInc
336-337-8183
http://www.airbossinc.com/
[email protected]
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

We noticed the changes this year and the changes were good. Airboss did a fine job!

Mark