flight school annual report

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: flight school annual report

Post by drseti »

That's a very inciteful question, Helen. My Evektor airframe and engine are now 8 years and 1700 hours old. I'll have to check my AMT logbook for total mx hours, next time I'm on the airport - and will post the ratio once I've calculated it.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Thanks Paul for posting all these reports. I guess I represent Illinois in your 2014 report! :D

By the way, in the other thread I mentioned what I would have liked the LSRM-inspection course to be like. Now we know that's impossible since the curriculum is mandated by FAA. But, where there is an unanswered customer need, there is an opportunity, right?! How about you develop a 2-day hands-on annual inspection course? You could perhaps schedule it when your own airplane needs one of its 100-hour inspections and a couple of students can come over and watch you do the actual inspection? The shops typically mention 10-16 hours of shop time for the annual/100 hour inspection, so a weekend should be enough? You can decide to make the LSRM 16-hour course a prerequisite and this one as a companion course, although I think it could just run on its own merit.
200 hours of flight and counting
drseti

Post by drseti »

Actually, Reza, I do something along those lines, though on a very informal basis. Any of my registered students is welcome to observe, or assist, when 100 hour inspection time rolls around. All very non-commercial. I don't charge them for the experience, and they don't charge me for their labor!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
comperini

Post by comperini »

drseti wrote:Any of my registered students is welcome to observe, or assist...
Be careful. Under Part 65, you don't have supervisory privileges.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
drseti

Post by drseti »

True. But if I'm doing the work, and the inspection, and the assistance being rendered is to hand me tools, hold things, and clean things, then I'm not exactly exercising supervisory privileges, am I?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
comperini

Post by comperini »

drseti wrote:True. But if I'm doing the work, and the inspection, and the assistance being rendered is to hand me tools, hold things, and clean things, then I'm not exactly exercising supervisory privileges, am I?
I personally don't think so either... and I'd do the same. I think that line in the sand isn't clear (at least it's not to me). Sure, we can't allow someone to do something in our absence and then "sign off their work", but I do think there is wiggle room for someone doing something standing right next to you.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
drseti

Post by drseti »

When it's an owner assisted annual (or, more properly, an owner hindered annual), the line is clear - it's drawn at the end of the list of owner-authorized preventive maintenance items. In the case of the student assisting with the 100 hour inspection of my aircraft, I tend to be a bit more restrictive.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:When it's an owner assisted annual (or, more properly, an owner hindered annual), the line is clear - it's drawn at the end of the list of owner-authorized preventive maintenance items. In the case of the student assisting with the 100 hour inspection of my aircraft, I tend to be a bit more restrictive.
Paul, maintenance and inspections are 2 entirely different things. As you pointed out the owner can do preventive maintenance items. Any other maintenance items must be performed by someone rated to do those items. For the inspection, only the person performing the inspection may do the inspection items.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Understood, Tom. In the case of a condition inspection, non-structural inspection covers must first be removed. This as an owner-authorized PM item. I see no reason the owner can't do that (and similar owner-approved items) when I do the inspection.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Understood, Tom. In the case of a condition inspection, non-structural inspection covers must first be removed. This as an owner-authorized PM item. I see no reason the owner can't do that (and similar owner-approved items) when I do the inspection.
I know this is a bit of a grey area, but CFR 43 Appendix D says the person performing the inspection must remove the inspection plates, along with other items.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Not only a gray area, Tom, but also not common practice. For the 30 years that I did owner-assisted annuals with an IA on my old Beechcraft, I did the open-up and button-up tasks, and so did everyone else I know who did owner-assisted annuals.

So, my question is, if somebody brought you a plane to annual, and the inspection plates had already been removed, would you advocate reinstalling and re-removing them before starting?

The annual inspection checklist also says to wash the plane. If the plane were freshly washed when delivered to you, would you dirty it and then wash it again?

My point is, the guidelines are just that.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Not only a gray area, Tom, but also not common practice. For the 30 years that I did owner-assisted annuals with an IA on my old Beechcraft, I did the open-up and button-up tasks, and so did everyone else I know who did owner-assisted annuals.

So, my question is, if somebody brought you a plane to annual, and the inspection plates had already been removed, would you advocate reinstalling and re-removing them before starting?

The annual inspection checklist also says to wash the plane. If the plane were freshly washed when delivered to you, would you dirty it and then wash it again?

My point is, the guidelines are just that.
Are you saying CFR 43 Appendix D is just a guideline and not regulatory?
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:Are you saying CFR 43 Appendix D is just a guideline and not regulatory?
No, not exactly. But, consider:
Appendix D to Part 43 - Scope and Detail of Items (as Applicable to the Particular Aircraft) To Be Included in Annual and 100-Hour Inspections
"Scope and Detail" is not a checklist. "As applicable" confirms that you are allowed to use the aircradt manufacturer's checklist in lieu of Appendix D.

And:
(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling

The key word here is necessary. If the owner has already removed the plates, access doors, fairings, and cowling (all permitted under PM rules), then this step is not necessary.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Are you saying CFR 43 Appendix D is just a guideline and not regulatory?
No, not exactly. But, consider:
Appendix D to Part 43 - Scope and Detail of Items (as Applicable to the Particular Aircraft) To Be Included in Annual and 100-Hour Inspections
"Scope and Detail" is not a checklist. "As applicable" confirms that you are allowed to use the aircradt manufacturer's checklist in lieu of Appendix D.

And:
(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling

The key word here is necessary. If the owner has already removed the plates, access doors, fairings, and cowling (all permitted under PM rules), then this step is not necessary.
You can only use the manufactures checklist if it covers all the items listed in appendix D as they apply to the aircraft.

It is completely allowable per the regulations for the owner to remove panels for maintenance, but an inspection is not maintenance. The regulations are very clear that maintenance and inspections are two separate actions.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Happy New Year! AvSport's 2015 Annual Report is now available for download from:
http://avsport.org/reports/report2015.pdf
Attachments
report_cover_2015.jpg
report_cover_2015.jpg (37.77 KiB) Viewed 17390 times
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US