Tecnam or Sirius high wing

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

sunharvester

Tecnam or Sirius high wing

Post by sunharvester »

Seriously considering a purchase of one or the other.

The Tecnam proven but Sirius less costly.

Anyone without an interest in either have any insight?
ct4me

Re: Tecnam or Sirius high wing

Post by ct4me »

One of the things I didn't consider when I purchased, was the robustness of the manufacturer and the number of specific aircraft that are out there. You get all caught up with the specs and sexiness, but eventually those items are overshadowed by the ability to get parts and service. The ability to communicate with other owners is extremely useful, as is working with a mechanic that actually knows your specific make/model.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Tim is right. Once you have narrowed your choice to a few models a bit of research is time well spent.

When things go wrong, or there is the inevitable glitch, being able to talk with tech support/customer service quickly and fairly easily, is a big advantage. Also, a shop or flight school where they have developed some experience and expertise.

Access to a qualified Rotax mechanic is also a major help. The 3 big areas are engine, airframe and avionics. Not everyone is as able or comfortable with woking on all 3 areas.

I chose a Vans RV-12 SLSA for 2 reasons…their factory is in the USA and they built mine rather than me getting the kits myself. Simply personal preference for me, others will have a different view. I'm not 'selling' it as the only way to go. The Flight Designs and Tecnams are well built airplanes with incredible utility. Others are just as good simply less well known and fewer in number. Will those companies be financially viable in a tough market?

Most LSAs have a Rotax engine and a few the Jabiru for example. Nothing wrong with the engine but the tech support is much more sparse than for Rotax. On the other hand if you're closer to where the airplane dealer is then it may not as much of a concern.

There are many opinions, some biased, most knowledgeable, some uninformed. In the end you have to determine your 'mission, the type of flying you want to do, and decide if the model you like is also the one that best fulfills that mission.
sunharvester

Post by sunharvester »

Point we'll taken.

I'm sold on Rotax.

Understanding the value proposition is a little bit of a jigsaw puzzle, as the market is young.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I don't have any experience with Sirius, but I trained in a Tecnam P-92 Echo Super. It's one of the best feeling, most honest flying airplane I've flown.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
SWeidemann

Post by SWeidemann »

Greetings,

I am pleased to see someone else is looking at the Sirius too. The airplane of the day for me was a Flight Design CT however I cannot get over the good looks of the Sirius, with very similar performance and long range. The Flight Design & Tecnam are much more established today however. (For support, technical and parts.)
WSW
sunharvester

Post by sunharvester »

That is probably the ultimate equation. With the dollar so strong against the Euro, there seems to be some real value in a European A/C purchase. However, that bargain isn't ubiquitous it appears to me on a new Tecnam. Please correct me if I am wrong. The Europen used market of LSA come at a nice price point in dollars, however unavailable for US registry. The new Sirius appears to reflect that same purchasing power. But what about Tecnam? Pricing is simply higher and I would like to know why. Is it because they can getter based on company lineage, or is it really made better. Do they not subscribe and build to the same ASTM standards? Certainly user experience is an important consideration which I am trying to flesh out. They appear to be very comparable and very well may be. But pricing suggests otherwise.

Someone familiar with the construction of each and the manufacturing process of each could likely unlock this question. Is a metal wing really more reliable than a composite? How many high wing composites flying around today.

So many questions.....
designrs

Post by designrs »

Where are you based Sunharvester?
The Sebring LSA expo is in January.
http://www.sportaviationexpo.com

Tecnam USA operation is based at the show there, plus just about all of the LSA manufacturers are on display. Great place to see everything and ask questions.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
designrs

Post by designrs »

This is just personal opinion and observation from seeing Tecnam at the shows and having flown one for a few hours in my early training. Tecnam gives me an impression of "sturdy aircraft". It's almost like a nuts and bolts feel like an older Cessna. Not as sexy, but bolted together well. LOL Although some of the new models are pretty slick with updated design. I really feel that Tecnam is a unique brand. Personal preference will come into play.

Metal vs. composite. Reliability of composite from a reputable manufacture that has been around for a while should be fine. Composite might be a few knots faster due to the smooth surfaces. The big difference is damage repair. Lots of people can work on metal. Composite is another story. Some flight schools strongly prefer metal in case of mishaps. You might want to think about your risk exposure and likelihood of repair. Of course insurance helps. Not a deal breaker but definitely something to think about. I'm sure some composite owners here will offer their opinion and experience.

I heard of a Sting that had a very hard landing. (Clearly pilot error of course.) Whatever main gear parts were required to replace were expensive! Hopefully you would never have to replace anything like that. Nothing is cheep in aviation, and I'm certainly not knocking Sting at all. They have been around for quite some time and we have members here that are very happy with them. Just throwing a repair scenario out there.

If possible, it is always great to rent and spend some time in make and model before buying one.
That experience will be very worthwhile.

I strongly agree in looking at the manufacturer and company for production numbers, support and longevity. Very important!

Good luck!
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

I have flown both the Sirius and the P2008. In fact I have flown most all of the most common LSAs.

My strong recommendation is to fly both airplanes. Many look similar on paper but in reality are quite different when you fly them. It is my opinion that this is the case when comparing the Sirius and the P2008. Almost every review you see talks about the superior handling and natural feel of a Tecnam in flight and during landing. If my wife decides ever decides to get her certificate it will be in a Tecnam for this reason.

Tecnams come standard with many features that are either not included or not available on other LSAs. Just a couple examples, even the least optioned Tecnam will have seats that slide fore and aft and recline like an automobile, stainless steel braided brake lines and a hydraulic suspended nose gear that is similar to part 23 aircraft like Cessna or Piper.

Most every recent Tecnam you will see is fully loaded with the options. They can also be ordered with less equipment that will get them closer to other LSA pricing but I don't expect they will never be at the exact same price point.

Compare the quality of the fit and finish up close and in person. Compare the quality of components used to build both aircraft. Then give them both a test flight!

Mark Gregor
Tecnam US Inc.
507-327-9465
designrs

Post by designrs »

Another question I would ask is, "Tell me about ease of maintenance?"
Some manufacturers are getting better at designs that allow easy access for common maintence tasks.

How easy is it to get the oil filter off? Does the radiator need to be disconnected and removed for that?
(I kid you not!)

How about panel access? How is that achieved?
What maintenance tasks are simple and which ones might be awkward requiring excessive disassembly?

These issues are most likely secondary to other considerations, but are still worth investigating.
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

An example. Tecnam engine cowls can be opened in seconds without any tools.

Quick and easy engine access makes it easy to identify a potential problem and encourages better preflight inspections.

One time in northern Minnesota I stopped for lunch and was only away from the airplane for an hour or so. When I came back there was a couple pieces of grass under the cowl so I opened it up and was surprised to see an almost fully finished bird nest!

Mark
drseti

Post by drseti »

Those birds are industrious little devils, aren't they, Mark?

In addition to suspicious grass, during nesting season one should always look for guano on the ground, under and near the engine cowling, before every flight.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

drseti wrote:Those birds are industrious little devils, aren't they, Mark?

In addition to suspicious grass, during nesting season one should always look for guano on the ground, under and near the engine cowling, before every flight.

Yes Paul, leave it us old guys to look for evidence on the ground.. My favorite is field mice in the wings of rag aircraft chewing up the rib lacing for nest and mouse urine dripping from the low point drain grommets. I'm BACK..... Don
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nice to see you online, Don. Hope all's going well with you.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US