LSA Sting to be certified for IFR in IMC

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

BrianL99

Re: LSA Sting to be certified for IFR in IMC

Post by BrianL99 »

MrMorden wrote:
BrianL99 wrote: Can you give me an example of a condition that would disqualify you for a 3rd Class Medical, but wouldn't prevent you from exercising Sport Pilot privileges?
The real answer is: "Any condition for which you have consulted with your personal physician(s), and both you and they agree that you can safely operate an LSA."

If you and your doctor both agree that you can safely fly an LSA, you are within the scope of the regulations. There is no set of disqualifying conditions for Light Sport privileges as there is for a third class medical. Instead it's left for the pilot to exercise reasonable judgment in consultation with his/her physician(s).
I guess I read the Regulations differently.

Thanks
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

BrianL99 wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
BrianL99 wrote: Can you give me an example of a condition that would disqualify you for a 3rd Class Medical, but wouldn't prevent you from exercising Sport Pilot privileges?
The real answer is: "Any condition for which you have consulted with your personal physician(s), and both you and they agree that you can safely operate an LSA."

If you and your doctor both agree that you can safely fly an LSA, you are within the scope of the regulations. There is no set of disqualifying conditions for Light Sport privileges as there is for a third class medical. Instead it's left for the pilot to exercise reasonable judgment in consultation with his/her physician(s).
I guess I read the Regulations differently.

Thanks
I believe the FAA Counsel has agreed with my interpretation.

EDIT:

From the FAA website:

----------
QUESTION: If I suspect I have a significant medical condition, but have never had an FAA medical certificate denied, suspended, or revoked, can I exercise sport pilot privileges using my current and valid driver's license, if otherwise qualified?

Response by the Federal Air Surgeon
Long-standing FAA regulation, § 61.53, prohibits all pilots — those who are required to hold airman medical certificates and those who are not--from exercising privileges during periods of medical deficiency. The FAA revised § 61.53 to include under this prohibition sport pilots who use a current and valid U.S. driver's license as medical qualification. The prohibition is also added under §§ 61.23 (c) (2) (iv) and 61.303 (b) (2) (4) for sport pilot operations.

You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. Certain medical information that may be helpful for pilots can be found in our Pilot Safety Brochures.
-----------

Note bold portions above. For a class three medical, "deficiency" is determined by the requirements of the medical regarding conditions and medications, as well as the SI guidelines. For Sport Pilot privileges, none of that applies and deficiency is determined by the pilot in consultation with his physician. Note the language "You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency"...the determination is actually made by your physician consult, notwithstanding any requirements determining "deficiency" for a third class medical.
Last edited by MrMorden on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

BrianL99 wrote: I guess I read the Regulations differently.
Aren't we talking about this one?

"§61.53 Prohibition on operations during medical deficiency.

(b) Operations that do not require a medical certificate. For operations provided for in §61.23(b) of this part, a person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner."

How exactly are you parsing that? It seems pretty clear to me.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

SportPilot wrote:
some people interpret things for their own purposes even when their interpretation is clearly incorrect.
Where did you get your law degree?

Cheerios box?
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Now, children, we can disagree without being snarky, can't we?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

SportPilot wrote:University Of Wisconsin, MBA University Of Wisconsin, BA Engineering NC State University. Thanks for asking.

Just like a figured. No law degree.
drseti

Post by drseti »

BrianL99 wrote:Just like a figured. No law degree.
As I see it, that's a good thing.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

SportPilot wrote:University Of Wisconsin, MBA University Of Wisconsin, BA Engineering NC State University. Thanks for asking.
Are those accredited?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

Wm.Ince wrote:
Are those accredited?

Self-certified.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I have a BA in English Literature from the University of Georgia, so I'm fully qualified to type posts on the Internet (but only in English!). In case anybody wondered. :D
Last edited by MrMorden on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

Andy, did you say your English degree makes you fully qualified to post typos?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:Andy, did you say your English degree makes you fully qualified to post typos?
Well, my degree is from Georgia. ;)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI