ICON & Rube Goldberg

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

CTLSi

ICON & Rube Goldberg

Post by CTLSi »

The ICON A5 has emerged as just that, a Rube Goldberg aircraft. A Rube Goldberg machine is a contraption, invention, device or apparatus that is deliberately over-engineered to perform a simple task in a complicated fashion at absurd costs.

Flying Magazine test flew, reports and verifies what some suspected.

"Hovering around 85 knots after we leveled off, cruise speed is not one of the Icon's strong points. But again, cross-country traveling was not included in the list of design goals"

"The single fuel tank, which has a total capacity of 20 gallons"

"Pusher engines can be tough to keep cool, especially when they are mounted behind the fuselage, but Icon says its engineers solved the issue by widening the cowl and adding a cooling fan on the prop shaft."

"The question is: Will the customers who expected to pay around $140,000 (in 2008 dollars), be willing to pay the price tag for the first 100 airplanes of $247,000?"

What do you need to fly an ICON? A minimum of a Sport Pilot certificate with a seaplane endorsement. You will need to spend another $2500 on transition training after that...

http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/lsasp ... MTU3MzU0S0
HAPPYDAN

Re: ICON & Rube Goldberg

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Yeah, I have to reluctantly agree with you there. When I first heard about the project, I, like so many others, was fascinated by the concept and eagerly awaited the actual rollout. But $247K? Looks like just another lifestyle toy for the Rich and Shameless.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

I fully support the Rich and Shameless in that. Compared to how much a new Cessna Skyhawk costs, $247k is nothing.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

zaitcev wrote:I fully support the Rich and Shameless in that. Compared to how much a new Cessna Skyhawk costs, $247k is nothing.
Well, not really. A new 160 hp 172R retails for $274,900.

There might be things to like about the Icon. Value per aviation dollar is not really one of them.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

MrMorden wrote:
zaitcev wrote:I fully support the Rich and Shameless in that. Compared to how much a new Cessna Skyhawk costs, $247k is nothing.

There might be things to like about the Icon. Value per aviation dollar is not really one of them.
I guess that depends on what someone values.

If I had "new LSA cash" laying around, I'd be sitting in a Carbon Cub. But many don't see the value in one of those, either.
- Bruce
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I think ICON could find a market for the A5 here in Western Washington. There are numerous opportunities for water landings, salt and fresh, all within 100 miles of Seattle. Plenty of islands to explore - some with resorts, some private, some with seaplane bases, some uninhabited, and lakes too, including Chelan. For those that could afford one, it could be almost as versatile as a helicopter, at MUCH less cost. Certainly a fun option for adventurous sightseeing.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote:
MrMorden wrote:

I guess that depends on what someone values.

If I had "new LSA cash" laying around, I'd be sitting in a Carbon Cub. But many don't see the value in one of those, either.
I totally agree. I was just responding to the "$247k is nothing compared to a Cessna" comment. In fact, it's 90% of the price of a new 172.

Carbon Cubs rock hard, BTW. :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

Andy, I can't believe you used "value" and "aviation dollar" in the same sentence. ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

SportPilot wrote:If I lived on a lake and money was no object, the ICON would be a great option.
Another great market for Icon A5 is an onboard airplane for a superyacht. Now that it's available, expect new designs and retrofits to appear that feature a typical helicopter hangar updated with a crane, hoist, or slip to launch and recover the A5s.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

zaitcev wrote:
SportPilot wrote:If I lived on a lake and money was no object, the ICON would be a great option.
Another great market for Icon A5 is an onboard airplane for a superyacht. Now that it's available, expect new designs and retrofits to appear that feature a typical helicopter hangar updated with a crane, hoist, or slip to launch and recover the A5s.
Agree!

But that is a market of what...ten? Okay, twenty if the really big yachts carry two each. :D
Last edited by MrMorden on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:Andy, I can't believe you used "value" and "aviation dollar" in the same sentence. ;)
I like to speak in paradox. :mrgreen:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI