Aeronca 7AC Champ empty weights

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

awilson

Aeronca 7AC Champ empty weights

Post by awilson »

What would the normal empty weight be for a 65HP Champ? I see some very nices ones but they seem to be pretty heavy. I don't want to give up 50 lbs. or more in performance just because it looks beautiful.
drseti

Re: Aeronca 7AC Champ empty weights

Post by drseti »

The one I used to fly was 820 empty, 1220 max gross, leaving 400 useful.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I weighed a Champ last year. I'll have to see if I have the document saved on my work computer. I think it was somewhere around 820. I can tell you with some certainty that many of the older airplane actually weigh more than their papers say they did when they were new.
drseti

Post by drseti »

That's because middle-aged airplanes are like middle-aged people, Tom. We put on a few pounds with each passing year.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
awilson

Post by awilson »

Hmmm, well I found a gorgeous 65 hp one. NOT electric No wing tanks. But it is 869 empty and 1220 gross. Is this average or heavy? I don't want to buy a dog just because it is pretty. Or not be able to put 2 people in it and fly a good hour or so.
drseti

Post by drseti »

If this plane has an 8 gallon header tank, it's good for two 150 pound adults (which is probably what folks weighed around 1946).

Still, sounds heavy to me. I wonder how many coats if dope it has over the fabric?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

A modern Champ from the factory in 2015 weighs 922 lbs. That includes an O-200 and an aluminum spar, but they really weren't all that lightweight to begin with.
drseti

Post by drseti »

zaitcev wrote:A modern Champ from the factory in 2015 weighs 922 lbs.

I can believe that. With a 1320 pound max gross, the useful load is then 398 pounds. That parallels quite closely my old 1946 model (1220 max gross, 820 pounds empty, 400 pounds useful load).
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Yeah, in reality that's not so bad for a Champ with 100hp and a full electrical system and basic avionics (radio, transponder, etc). Not a lightweight, but very similar to what you'd see in a similarly equipped J-3 Cub.

Still basically a one person airplane though. :(
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Edgefly

Post by Edgefly »

Before you make a final decision, look closely at an 11AC. And no matter what, realize that an FAA "people" from 1946 is a lot different than most of us today ! Trade off all of the selection parameters relevant to your mission for the aircraft. Aeroncas are fine choices for many light aircraft users.

Dale