Flying Shoes

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

SportPilot

Re: Flying Shoes

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot wrote:From a safety standpoint, flying barefooted is a really bad idea. On the other hand, chances are you will never have to suffer the consequences.
Your choice of foot wear could be far worse than flying bare foot. Many of the tennis shoes are made from synthetic materials that will melt in a fire. Your notion of wearing your old racing shoes when flying is not a bad idea. I have seen people jump out of a airplane wearing a pair of Simpson racing boots and then change into their every day shoes.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chavycha

Post by chavycha »

For what it's worth, it's actually perfectly legal in all 50 states to drive a car barefoot.

I see what you're saying from a theoretical perspective, but there are lots of things that could, with the right set of circumstances, be dangerous. If you have an off-airport landing into a glass factory, for example, it might be advantageous to have shoes on.

We probably should all stay on the ground and wrap ourselves in bubble wrap. :mrgreen:
Scott K. :: A bunch of silly letters
Disclaimer :: Listen to me at your own risk. These are just my opinions...
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot wrote:I'm thinking the impact resistance of bare feet on pedals is not good. What could be a relatively injury free off airport landing might result in two badly broken feet if barefooted. You don't need to agree with me. I'm sure you can come up with an example to disagree. For me, I won't be flying barefooted. Driving a car barefooted is unsafe and I think illegal in many states.
I didn't agree or disagree, I simply pointed out the something perceived as being better might not be better. With your thinking that I am always attacking your point of view, you seem to have missed that I thought your idea of the racing boots was a good one.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Delete...
Last edited by SportPilot on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot wrote:Yes, I saw that. If I really wanted to be safe, I could wear my fire suit, helmet, gloves, and fire retardant long underwear and boots and socks. On a serious note, my LSA checkout CFI was involved in a plane crash on takeoff from KGVL late last year while giving a Flight Review I believe. The pilot burned to death in the crash and my CFI friend died about a month later. It was such a tragic loss. The plane was a Commander 112.
I have been around aviation long enough to know that people I know will die from a accident. A few years ago about this time of year I witnessed a close friend have an issue that looked like it was going to end badly. (20° + nose down and inverted heading for the ground) By what ever positive force you believe in he was lucky enough to save the airplane and land in a field.