Flying Shoes

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

rgstubbsjr

Re: Flying Shoes

Post by rgstubbsjr »

I wear my old Air Force boots, hoping I'll get another chance to fly an F-4E.
sigh..... No luck so far.
drseti

Post by drseti »

F4E? You're a youngster! In my day, they were F4Cs.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

rgstubbsjr wrote:I wear my old Air Force boots, hoping I'll get another chance to fly an F-4E.
I think that's the same reason Nomore767 wears ballet slippers. He's still waiting for his call from the Bolshoi... :lol:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

MrMorden wrote:
rgstubbsjr wrote:I wear my old Air Force boots, hoping I'll get another chance to fly an F-4E.
I think that's the same reason Nomore767 wears ballet slippers. He's still waiting for his call from the Bolshoi... :lol:
I've actually been to the ballet... exactly once. In the frigid winter of 1972 some of our college politics and history course got a week in a very bleak Soviet Moscow.
The Bolshoi theater was under renovation so the performances were moved to the big conference center, theater, whatever in the Kremlin.
So we went in to see Swan Lake performed by the Bolshoi Ballet and I have to say even being a dumb college student fan of rock music I found the whole thing absolutely fantastic !
Never been to the ballet since assuming nothing in the ballet world could ever top that!

Thing is….I did decide NOT to wear the slippers though!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nomore767 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Now that's an airplane.
Shaking the ground around it. And that's no BS.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Wm.Ince wrote:

Now that's an airplane.
Shaking the ground around it. And that's no BS.
Loudest airplane I have *ever* heard was an RF-4C taking off in full afterburner from Dobbins AFB. As you said, shook the ground...my car windows...and everything else. Before I looked up I assumed I'd see a whole flight of F/A-18s or F-15s. Nope, just a single F-4 showing everybody else how it's done!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

We had the gun :mrgreen:
What a difference it made.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

rgstubbsjr wrote:We had the gun :mrgreen:
What a difference it made.
It always does!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Paul Z

Post by Paul Z »

I use to fly with my regular tennis shoes. I went to Idaho and did some mountain flying. Preston Riley the instructor at Stick & Rudder recommended a thin soled shoe because when you are flying in a Tail dragger you are less likely to stiff foot it and get into the brakes. I was embarrassed a few times with some really bad landings. I hate to admit this, but I had one landing that was so bad Preston ended up taking over for the recovery. When I got back from Idaho I purchased these Nikes. With the Nikes I can curl my toes up and the shoe curls up. Ever since I got these I tend to have much better landings. I wore them for about 4 or 5 flight, then one day I forgot to put them on. I flew down to Lancaster airport, an on my first landing, I was all over the place, eventually ended up taxing thru the grass. Ever since, that really crappy landing, these are my flying shoes. Much better landings ever since, and I no longer get into the brakes in steering. With these thin soles, I can dance better on the rudders, and sometime smooth dance moves are required in a a stiff cross wind. This is a very good recommendation for anyone that flies tail draggers.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (228.71 KiB) Viewed 6486 times
Paul Zimmermann LSRM-A
Kitfox SLSA
chavycha

Post by chavycha »

I'm surprised I am the first to say this. If I'm alone (or with someone who won't throw a fit), I fly barefoot for all the reasons mentioned above. Works better on the 162 than on a plane with textured rudder pedals (172, etc.)
Scott K. :: A bunch of silly letters
Disclaimer :: Listen to me at your own risk. These are just my opinions...
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

chavycha wrote:I'm surprised I am the first to say this. If I'm alone (or with someone who won't throw a fit), I fly barefoot for all the reasons mentioned above. Works better on the 162 than on a plane with textured rudder pedals (172, etc.)
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. As SP mentioned, it might suck in a crash or a fire, but those circumstances suck anyway. A buddy of mine has an Avid, and the footwell is really too small for the boots he usually wears, so he throws his boots in the back and flies in his socks.

My CTSW has pedals that are of the "bar" type instead of flat. I could see those being uncomfortable on the balls of the feet over long periods or at full deflection.

I have always just worn the sneakers I wear everywhere else.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

I'm with SP. Been wearing sneakers every day, since long before I retired 8 years ago. Of course, we professors could get away with that - many even wear Birkenstocks in the classroom.

Andy, my plane also has rudder bars. Barefoot just doesn't work on those.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
chavycha

Post by chavycha »

Ha, yes, I figure if there is a crash/fire I've got more important worries than whether I'm wearing fashionable footwear. :)
The 162 in particular has a nice little well in front of the seat where I place my shoes. Doubt it would take more than a few seconds to slip them back on if circumstances required.

I also tend to get sweaty feet if I fly in shoes. I don't know quite what that's all about, but barefoot is just more comfortable for me.
Scott K. :: A bunch of silly letters
Disclaimer :: Listen to me at your own risk. These are just my opinions...
drseti

Post by drseti »

chavycha wrote:I also tend to get sweaty feet if I fly in shoes.
Strange; most of my students get sweaty palms.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US