Flying Shoes

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Nomore767

Flying Shoes

Post by Nomore767 »

I've been trying to find some new footwear that's comfortable for flying my Vans RV-12 SLSA. I find some sneakers to be a bit big for the rudder pedals. I searched 'flying shoes' here recently and so I thought I'd post this as a couple of folks asked about what others wore for flying.

This is what I found! Seems rather appropriate for my particular SLSA! Very haute couture! I can kinda see why my wife HAS to have the accessories to go with everything!

Particularly the "Vans" logo and the shoe color complete with the red trim! Consistent with keeping LSA costs down, they were purchased today at Kohls with a a 30% off discount :mrgreen:
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (83.12 KiB) Viewed 6754 times
FullSizeRender[1].jpg
FullSizeRender[1].jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 6754 times
Merlinspop

Re: Flying Shoes

Post by Merlinspop »

That's great! I was going to suggest that Puma has many models of shoes that aren't bulky and give lot's of 'feel' through the sole.
- Bruce
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Shoes and airplanes are a funny thing. My earliest memory of shoes and aviation goes back to my dad saying you don't want to fly a Champ wearing cowboy boots. Now I have never really had a problem with my size 9-10 feet learning to fly, or at least none that I remember. I have though on several occasions suggested to students that they need some special shoes for flying. For example you don't want a big bulky shoe when you are trying to fly a J3 Cub. There just isn't enough room between the front seat and the side walls when someone is sitting in the seat. For the CT I had a fellow show up in construction boots thinking he could do a better job of pushing on the rudder pedals, that didn't work out so well. I do know a few people who wear Simpson fire proof racing shoes when they fly, because they are less bulky and have a thin sole for better feel. One that I remember was a fellow who stopped in because of approaching weather. He jumped out of the airplane, and the first thing he did was take off his racing shoes and put on a pair of every day shoes.

BTW, your Vans shoes look like they should work well.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I find these give best comfort and pedal feel:

Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:I find these give best comfort and pedal feel:

Actually CTLSi said his wife had to wear something like that to reach the pedals in their CT.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Herman Munster flew a light sport? Who knew? :mrgreen:
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Nomore767 wrote:

Herman Munster flew a light sport? Who knew? :mrgreen:
I was thinking more like Abby from NCIS.
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

I guess the concept of dressing like you might have to walk home isn't important anymore.
I still fly in my Air Force boots from 40 (ish) or so years ago.
Jungle boots for summer, regular boots for winter.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I still have my USAF boots from 50 yrs ago. I wear them when motorcycling, but never for flying an LSA.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

rgstubbsjr wrote:I guess the concept of dressing like you might have to walk home isn't important anymore.
What makes you think I couldn't 'walk home' in my Vans footwear?
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Nomore767 wrote:
rgstubbsjr wrote:I guess the concept of dressing like you might have to walk home isn't important anymore.
What makes you think I couldn't 'walk home' in my Vans footwear?
It all depends on where you have to walk FROM. If you went down in rough wilderness those Vans won't get you very far. But most places in the USA are not more than a mile or two from other humans, so for most events the Vans will work. When I fly long cross country flights I have been known to throw my hiking boots in the baggage bay. Just in case.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Carrying such boots as a part of a 'survival kit' is one thing, actually flying in them is another. :)

On another note, my thread was started because a) someone had asked about what shoes folks wore for flying, on another earlier thread. b) it was intended to be light-hearted because I fly a Vans aircraft and found Vans shoes (not the same company) which I personally find comfortable for flying an LSA ( I find the rudder area a bit small for some clunkier sneakers and certainly boots.)

Just saying :mrgreen:
drseti

Post by drseti »

I got the gist of your thread right away, Howard. The subtly may have been lost on others. :D
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Nomore767 wrote:Carrying such boots as a part of a 'survival kit' is one thing, actually flying in them is another. :)

On another note, my thread was started because a) someone had asked about what shoes folks wore for flying, on another earlier thread. b) it was intended to be light-hearted because I fly a Vans aircraft and found Vans shoes (not the same company) which I personally find comfortable for flying an LSA ( I find the rudder area a bit small for some clunkier sneakers and certainly boots.)

Just saying :mrgreen:
I agree, wearing boots to fly in would not be my idea of "comfy". I usually wear running-style sneakers, and even they don't have as much pedal feel as I'd like. Those Vans sneaks look like they'd do pretty well. I have thought about racing shoes...they have great pedal feel, but are really useless for actually walking around in once the plane is parked.

If there were Flight Design shoes like that, I'd buy 'em too. ;)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Andy,

I've heard ballet shoes work very well too and if you chose to wear them to fly nobody is going to judge :mrgreen:

I've heard Paul likes his blue suede shoes…just be careful not to step on them!! You can do anything you want, just lay off them blue suede shoes :D