Wannabee from Western Washington

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: Wannabee from Western Washington

Post by 3Dreaming »

HAPPYDAN wrote:
pjcampbell wrote:What sort of color blindness would get an outright failure rather than a night time exclusion?
Yeah PJ - What they said. That "dot test" is, IMO, a bunch of baloney. The only noticeable issue I have is trying to discern magenta from blue on the sectional. And all that does is indicate presence of a control tower. I've been driving and riding M/C since 16, now 64. No violations. Never flunked a driving test. 23 years in the Army - Infantry and Signal, no problem. Right seat navigator/observer in a Kiowa, no problem. Night parachute ops, steer and assemble on light signal - no problem. Now this. Surprise! But, on a lighter note, I will pursue the S.O.D.A. with confidence. "Only quitters are losers".
Like I said earlier there must be something else going on. Color blindness should just cause a limitation to be placed on the medical that can be removed by passing one of the other approved test, and not an outright failure.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

3Dreaming wrote: Like I said earlier there must be something else going on. Color blindness should just cause a limitation to be placed on the medical that can be removed by passing one of the other approved test, and not an outright failure.
Yeah, if it really is JUST color vision, go to a different AME, have a consult before the medical exam. Tell him/her up front you have a color deficiency and need an alternate test. A good AME will help steer you in the right direction.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

The AME had given me an FAA form to take to my Optometrist, and explain the problem. Well, I also printed that article (Thanks Again!) and went to see him yesterday. What a difference that made! After a thorough exam and a new prescription, he (a retired Navy doctor) is totally familiar with the issue, and says he can track down that Farnsworth lantern. Apparently the alternate test is occasionally used for Navy pilots at Whidbey NAS. So he'll call when he has it, we'll do the test, he'll fill in the form, I'll send it in, no restrictions, waiver or SODA needed. Can't beat that.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

HAPPYDAN wrote:
The AME had given me an FAA form to take to my Optometrist, and explain the problem. Well, I also printed that article (Thanks Again!) and went to see him yesterday. What a difference that made! After a thorough exam and a new prescription, he (a retired Navy doctor) is totally familiar with the issue, and says he can track down that Farnsworth lantern. Apparently the alternate test is occasionally used for Navy pilots at Whidbey NAS. So he'll call when he has it, we'll do the test, he'll fill in the form, I'll send it in, no restrictions, waiver or SODA needed. Can't beat that.
Excellent Dan.
Hope it all works out for you.

This forum is a great resource, eh? . . . . 8)
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

So just to clarify, you got a "fail", not a "not valid for night flying or by color signal control." ???
Everything I read seems to indicate that if you are colorblind the worst you are going to get is "not valid for night flying or by color signal control."
I don't mind that but being restricted to an unaffordable but cool motor glider would be rough. Ha!

http://www.leftseat.com/baggish.htm
So according to this site, I can go to an eye doctor, get a particular test with no risk of "failing", and then bring that to the AME and skip their test? Would you have to do that ever 5 years for a class 3?

EDIT: Sorry, somehow I missed all the previous responses... So I think my questions are mostly answered.