Medical Reform Legislation introduced to House and Senate

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

SportPilot

Re: Medical Reform Legislation introduced to House and Senat

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

BrianL99 wrote:Just my opinion, but this bill has about as much chance of passing and being enacted, as I have of being the next man on the moon.
Based on…what?
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Nomore767 wrote:Based on…what?
Try dysfunction.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

Nomore767 wrote:
BrianL99 wrote:Just my opinion, but this bill has about as much chance of passing and being enacted, as I have of being the next man on the moon.
Based on…what?

It's special interest legislation, filed only to maintain the legislator's relationship (financial support) with EEA & AOPA.

The only way legislation such as that generally gets passed, if it's attached to another, non-related bill.

In the 113th Congress (last session), 10,637 bills were filed, less than 1000 were passed, the majority being resolutions.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/statistics
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Well, there's certainly plenty of evidence to suggest ANY bill being introduced in the House & Senate faces an uphill climb...but that's just addressing statistic, not politics.

Perhaps it's not widely known that a majority of members of the Subcommittee responsible for GAPPA - the previous and narrower proposal related to Class 3 medical reform - had already expressed support for GAPPA and would have voted its approval. General pessimism about reform legislation is probably the rational view but let's not forget how the process works. E.g. I was quite impressed with the Senators listed as co-sponsors of the Bill, whereas GAPPA seemed to enjoy more support in the House than the Senate.

I just wish S.571 was introduced by someone other than Senator Imhofe. While quite an 'individual' and full of piss & vinegar, he's also viewed by some as a legislative embarrassment and I wonder how much ripple effect his reputation will have on the Bill.

What an interesting, unfolding issue for we pilots...!
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

SportPilot wrote:I think that's implied. Otherwise would make zero sense.
I agree, but nobody ever got rich betting on government sensibility.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Regardless of the bill's chances of passing, if history is an indication, here is what will happen:

1) Congress introduces bill that contains the APOCALYPSE in the FAA's mind (6 SEATS, 6000lb, IFR WITH NO MEDICAL, WE ARE DOOMED!!!)

2) FAA says "Oh yeah, we know there must be reform, and we're almost done with our proposal! You'll love it!"

3) Congress shelves bill to wait and see the FAA's proposal.

4) FAA drags feet for 2.5 years, then says "sorry we have too much going on to play with this right now."

5) GOTO STEP 1
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I hope this passes.

But I think it's foolish to delay aviation decisions waiting for this.

We all have a finite number of years left in our careers. It would be a shame to let them slide by one after another waiting for something which may or may not ever reach fruition.

If it passes, my ideal plane would be another cherry Grumman Tiger, ideally in partnership with someone with their A&P. I could not go back to not being able to do my own maintenance.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

All I can say is that some of the responses here reflect why I think in many ways the USA has become a "Can't Do" country.

Despite us living in the biggest and best democracy we just shrug our shoulders and say "it won't happen', "it'll never happen", "it can't be done." And amazingly, the FAA doesn't want it so that's that, we have to defer to them, and wait for them, even though they're supposed to be there for us.

All I can say is, not so long ago the very IDEA of 3rd Class Medical reform ever being changed in our lifetime was considered laughable.
Eliminate the requirement for a medical? Preposterous.

And yet here we are.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Nomore767 wrote:All I can say is that some of the responses here reflect why I think in many ways the USA has become a "Can't Do" country.

Despite us living in the biggest and best democracy we just shrug our shoulders and say "it won't happen', "it'll never happen", "it can't be done." And amazingly, the FAA doesn't want it so that's that, we have to defer to them, and wait for them, even though they're supposed to be there for us.

All I can say is, not so long ago the very IDEA of 3rd Class Medical reform ever being changed in our lifetime was considered laughable.

And yet here we are.
Americans are very much "can do" by nature. America's government is very much "won't do" by nature.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

MrMorden wrote:
Nomore767 wrote:All I can say is that some of the responses here reflect why I think in many ways the USA has become a "Can't Do" country.

And yet here we are.
Americans are very much "can do" by nature. America's government is very much "won't do" by nature.

Well I don't know about 'won't do' but today they 'can't fund DHS', they can't even fund a temporary measure, and the politicians can't even sort their own majority out.

Americans may be very much 'can do'…but collectively they keep electing people who can't do.

That's it from me on political stuff…..it's just so darned bewildering and frustrating.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Nomore767 wrote: ...Well I don't know about 'won't do' but today they 'can't fund DHS'...
Perhaps they shouldn't be funded? Perhaps executive amnesty shouldn't be funded at the same time?

I would rather do without
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

"All I can say is that some of the responses here reflect why I think in many ways the USA has become a "Can't Do" country."

To zero in on Howard's observation and make it more relevant to aviation specifically, I think he's spot on when it comes to a 'Can't do' attitude from most pilots & aircraft owners WRT state and national legislation affecting GA. I've been pretty actively involved in attempting to amend Florida's Recreational Use Statute to the benefit of landowners with airstrips and air park owners specifically and the pilot community more generally. Whether the landowner is a farmer or air park resident or just has 5 acres and a little airstrip on it, they uniformly whine about their liability exposure (certainly, is a legitimate concern) but feel they will soil themselves if they actually have to meet with their House Rep or Senator. Or they are simply intimidated, giving f-a-r more credibility and power to most of our legislators than they deserve.

I saw this same behavior with the original EAA/AOPA medical petition and, subsequently, GAPPA. Many forum posters spend hours holding forth on their views but think a short email - maybe - is all they can manage when it comes to personally attempting to influence legislation. How many here have visited their Congressional district office to meet with a staffer regarding GA issues? Bet not too many hands got raised. I sometimes hear 'Oh, it can't make a difference...' and typically it's from a person who doesn't even know who their Rep is or where his/her District office is located.

We seem schizophrenic: On the one hand, we diss most politicians and consider them bought off by big interests (well, hard to argue with that...) while on the other we seem intimidated by them when in reality most of us know far more about GA issues than almost all of them. 535 MoC, 180,000 EAA members, almost 400,000 AOPA members, almost 600,000 certificated pilots and yet most Reps and Senators haven't heard the message. That looks like 'Can't do' to me, and it's not from them. It's from us.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

Jack Tyler wrote:"All I can say is that some of the responses here reflect why I think in many ways the USA has become a "Can't Do" country."

On the one hand, we diss most politicians and consider them bought off by big interests (well, hard to argue with that...)
No offense intended Jack, but the 3rd Class Medical legislation is a perfect example of a "big interest", buying their way into legislation.

Or phrased another way, it's a public relations/advertising vehicle for AOPA & EAA.