flight school annual report

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

flight school annual report

Post by drseti »

For any flight instructors, flight school operators, or aircraft owners out there who might be interested, I've posted AvSport's 2011 Annual Report to http://avsport.org/docs/report2011.pdf. Although the numbers and details are specific to one particular small business, I think the report provides a snapshot of the general state of the LSA flight training industry.

Brief summary: it was a great year, if one can simply ignore financial reality!

Any other flight school operators willing to share their experiences are encouraged to post them here.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N544CT

Congratulations & Good Luck

Post by N544CT »

Hats off to you! Wish you all the best in your 3d year.

If only I lived closer and could participate.
Bill
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Paul's Annual Reports are worthy of some praise on multiple levels. They lift the veil on how a small flight school operates, they illustrate a high level of standard that anyone can use when assessing another flight school's curriculum, and they help the consumer - who is paying what, for most, probably feels like a hefty price - appreciate the full cost of the service (and not just the value of the instruction). Both Paul's 2010 and 2011 reports are worth reviewing for anyone interested in peeking underneath the veil.

More broadly, this is the business practice the entire immature LSA industry could benefit from doing, but which most industry players simply don't have the business competence to emulate.

And Paul, Congrats on the safety award! That's great to hear, since you have been involved in that effort for many years now. Best wishes on a safe and profitable 2012...and perhaps a little less rain, too.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
scottj

The Business of Being a Flight Instructor

Post by scottj »

Paul:

That is an excellent and comprehensive report. Have you thought about writing a book ~ Opening a Flight School for Dummies?

We have added that very topic, The Business of Being a Flight Instructor to our Flight Instructor Refresher Course (FIRC) and new CFI courses. Most people are not aware of all of the small details running this type of business entails. I like the photos of your tool box and spare parts shelves.

Keep up the great work!
Scott Johnson
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
aeroalexer

Post by aeroalexer »

Excellent report! I hope every flight school can share their experiences with these types of reports. It quite helpful to know every thing about the flight school founder's, facilities, maintenance, events, staff and students etc.., thanks for sharing with us. Keep posting more updates!
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks for your kind words, Alexer, and welcome to the Sport Pilot Talk forums. I hope you'll be an active participant.

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Very nice read. As a small business owner myself, I found it very interesting.

How are the Sporstars holding up for training use?
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jim Stewart wrote:Very nice read. As a small business owner myself, I found it very interesting.
Thanks, Jim.
How are the Sporstars holding up for training use?
Surprisingly well. Other than routine maintenance (carb overhauls and synchronizing, gearbox inspection, 5-year rubber replacement, service bulletin compliance, etc.) and normal wear items (brake pads, tires, batteries, etc.), very little in the way of unanticipated repairs. Most expensive one was replacement of the entire exhaust system (running 100LL, with Decalin Run-Up to put lead in suspension. Lead vapors condensed in the exhaust system, solder-coating everything.) I did have to replace a choke cable assembly and oil pressure sensor, had to rewire a trim servo and its associated switches, replaced an oil cap, rebuilt an oil pump, and just today I swapped a prop (the old one was still serviceable after 1175 hours, but abraded -- I put on a new one so I could recondition the old one at my leisure, and then have it on the shelf for swap-out next time one looked worn).

I also have an antique Ercoupe on the line now, and it's caused me far more grief and expense than the SportStar!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Re: flight school annual report

Post by drseti »

I started this thread to announce my flight school's 2011 Annual Report. If you're interested in the 2012 edition, it's posted to:
http://avsport.org/docs/report2012.pdf
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Paul, what I enjoy about reading your annual reports is that there are always some perspectives offered on General Aviation that extend beyond your own business. Another gem of a job. (And congrats on the YE profit!)
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jack Tyler wrote:(And congrats on the YE profit!)
Thanks, Jack. Dividing that profit by my 2000 hours of labor, I see that I'm earning 86.5 cents per hour! :D
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

For those interested, AvSport's 2013 Annual Report is now available for download from http://avsport.org/docs/report2013.pdf. My earnings are now down to 71.5 c/hour! :D
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Happy New Year, fellow pilots. My flight school's 2014 Annual Report is now online at http://avsport.org/docs/report2014.pdf. After having operated essentially at break-even for its first four years, AvSport became truly profitable in its fifth year of operation. My earnings for the year amounted to something like $6.38 an hour -- not yet exceeding the Minimum Wage, but getting closer. :D
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Next, the small fortune!!!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Helen

Post by Helen »

About how many mx hours are you seeing per flight hour required? And what age is the airframe you are basing that on?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com