Finally a Plane

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: Finally a Plane

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:
designrs wrote:Metal tape on the radiator?
Just be sure you put that stuff on the right radiator (the oil cooler, not the water one). You want to warm your oil, not your heads!
The CT has the oil cooler mounted behind the radiator. You can only block both.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

What a strange design! (Of course, that's what I said when first I laid eyes on a CT.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:What a strange design! (Of course, that's what I said when first I laid eyes on a CT.)
:mrgreen:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:What a strange design! (Of course, that's what I said when first I laid eyes on a CT.)
Almost fightin' words! . . . :mrgreen:
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
designrs

Post by designrs »

Well, plane and pilot have been ready to fly South for several days. There was supposed to be a nice two-day weather window Sunday and Monday which never happened.

Half of the USA is currently IFR or marginal VFR, so I can’t complain about upstate New York too much! LOL
Should get out one day this week. Miss flying!!
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Fog/clouds? I just looked on radar and there's not much over this way...and it's close to severe clear here in NYC (looking out the window as I type).
Andy / PP-ASEL
designrs

Post by designrs »

Overcast 300 to 600 feet AGL.
Look at FlightRules in ForeFlight (colored dots all over the chart) the entire Northeast (above NYC) and middle of the USA is IFR or Marginal VFR.
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Yeah, no doubt. (I'm at work, so only took a quick look at radar...didn't look at any of the flying sites for METARs.)
Andy / PP-ASEL
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Rich -- get any flying in late last week?

Was able to do my version of the $100 hamburger on Friday night: TTN to MMU (to pick up a friend) and then down to ACY where we met up with more friends for dinner, then reversed the route to go home. Save for finding frost on the wings at ACY after dinner and having to bring the plane into a hangar to warm it up and wipe it down, no issues...though we did have to fly at 2,000' around MMU both times to stay below the clouds.
Andy / PP-ASEL
designrs

Post by designrs »

The plane has been grounded under scud in upstate NY for the last few weeks. VERY FUSTRATING. Finally got it out of that area today. First flight I was not expecting to get out. Just went up staying local to get some experience in safely and legally managing marginal VFR conditions.... altitude, ceiling, and terrain awareness along with related personal limits.

Then ironically the skies opened up. Played above the scattered clouds in the sun a bit, then landed, loaded stuff and escaped to Lock Haven. Not a whole lot further South but hopefully out of the major upstate scud... Now en route to Florida from here as weather allows!

ForeFlight with ADS-B and terrain profile view provided fantastic situational awarenress on a reasonably marginal VFR flight. (will post screenshots)

Andy, sounds like you are very dedicated to your flying, building experience, and having fun as well.
Keep at it! Looking forward to meeting up with you.
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

I'm trying, Rich! :)

Hopefully (for your sake) I won't see you on Saturday, but I'm planning a hop out to LHV to come visit Paul.
Andy / PP-ASEL
designrs

Post by designrs »

You'll love Lock Haven. It's a fantastic close getaway. Set in the valley, along a river, and beside a mountain. Friendly accommodating FBO. Nice little town with everything. Paul knows all the spots. Also, you must fly in for the Sentimental Journey event in June.

http://sentimentaljourneyfly-in.com
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Thanks, Rich! I'll put the May 2015 date on my calendar.

Edit: I'll see if I can make the June dates, too!
Andy / PP-ASEL
designrs

Post by designrs »

rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Richard,

By any chance, did we meet on November 24th at Lock haven? If so, I wish I had asked you to show me the airplane. It looks gorgeous!
200 hours of flight and counting