Affordable ADS-B out

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Re: Affordable ADS-B out

Post by designrs »

CTLSi wrote:Why would you want to depend on a portable device to enter a squawk code? Do you never fly into controlled airspace? And if your setup for ADS-B requires entry of codes from a non permanent device, it won't be compliant.
Because I'm not paying $4,000+ for an ADS-B transponder, and I want full ADS-B traffic coverage for my VFR flights now. I rarely fly into controlled airspace. 2020 compliance is a while away and we will probably be seeing many other options between now and then.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I would not want to enter a squawk code in two different devices if I was flying IFR. Flying VFR under the Class B DFW veil and occasional flight following has been no big deal for the past year. I've received zero complaints from ATC on my ADS-B signal.

Obviously, you only need to set the squawk if the code is something other than 1200.

Not for everyone but fine for me.
dave
designrs

Post by designrs »

dstclair wrote:Obviously, you only need to set the squawk if the code is something other than 1200.
Not for everyone but fine for me.
Same here.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Rich, because these discussions about cost zero in on the buying the box(es) but can't easily address the install costs, please include that info in your report. It would be helpful to hear a summary of a) the equipment cost, plus b) the install costs and what they were for, along with c) what already-installed equipment this solution was dependent on (since other a/c would not necessarily be similarly equipped). Thanks for the offer to gather impressions & share!
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
designrs

Post by designrs »

Jack Tyler wrote:Rich, because these discussions about cost zero in on the buying the box(es) but can't easily address the install costs, please include that info in your report. It would be helpful to hear a summary of a) the equipment cost, plus b) the install costs and what they were for, along with c) what already-installed equipment this solution was dependent on (since other a/c would not necessarily be similarly equipped). Thanks for the offer to gather impressions & share!

UNIT COST:
$975 plus shipping for the ADS-B out transponder kit.
http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com/uat-transmitter/

ZERO INSTALL COST:
Zero install cost as it is a portable unit. The only constraint is if the 12V accessory plug had enough amps. If the SkyGuard were hardwired they recommend either a 3A slow-blow fuse or a 5A quick-blow fuse.

Here's the setup guide:

http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com/wp-content/ ... ctions.pdf

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT:
Either: iPhone / iPad / Andrioid / iFly to setup

ADS-B IN:
You can use whatever ADS-B IN unit you want.
In my case I'm using the Stratus II for ADS-B in / TIS in to ForeFlight
and my Garmin GTX 330 / Garmin 696 for TIS in on the panel.
The Garmin equipment is already installed in my plane.
The Stratus II is $899 from Sporty's

Note: TIS-A is different from ADS-B. An ADS-B OUT ground station trigger will not provide TIS traffic, you still need an ADS-B In device and display (Stratus, Garmin GDL, etc.)

OTHER SkyGuard Options:
SkyGuard also makes two additional transceiver models if you want to use their system for ADS-B both IN and OUT. Cost is $1475 or $1875 with AHRS
Last edited by designrs on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Thanks, Rich. We'll be interested to hear what you think about the unit's performance, and also that 'dual' squawk code entry requirement.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
designrs

Post by designrs »

Last edited by designrs on Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

designrs

Post by designrs »

Update: TIS is not ADS-B

TIS traffic as provided by the Garmin GTX 330 and displayed on the 696 is not going to function from the ADS-B OUT ground station trigger. An ADS-B IN feed is required, such as the Stratus 2 to ForeFlight or other ADS-B receiver into Garmin 696 or other device.

TIS is Radar based and is a completely different service from ADS-B:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publica ... c/03-2.htm
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

There is still hope on certification of the SkyGuard unit. The below is from January 20th:
We just recently resubmitted our request for TSO-C154c authorization to the FAA. This is round 2 after making
some changes to the design and firmware as requested by the FAA during our round 1 request. We now wait for the
FAA to review all the documentation we provided to them. We do not know how long it will take them to come back with a
response, but we do anticipate they will want additional information and/or documentation.
As soon as we receive their response, we will post an update on this discussion forum.
Don
SkyGuardTWX
dave
designrs

Post by designrs »

Thanks for the update Dave. It is good to see SkyGuard continue the process for FAA certification.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edgefly

Post by Edgefly »

As long as you are talking "affordable", there is much work going on in several aviation groups to create this ( just ADS-B out) units for something on the order of $100-200. Parts only, but Flight Aware is providing info and it looks as though display provisions can be arranged through existing equipment. The Skyguard unit has been getting some decent reviews but that's a fair difference considering it will still require an a existing display capability.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.