Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Post by MrMorden »

The EAA Fly-In and Chili cook is happening at the Blairsville Airport from 10a-2p on Saturday. This was a fun event last year, and the wife and I are planning to attend again this year if weather permits. Is anybody else attending? FastEddie? Flocker?

Last year we were witness to many thrilling displays of airmanship in a spot landing contest, as well as a display by a Cub driver of "what not to do in an airplane." ;)

It should be a good time.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Flocker

Re: Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Post by Flocker »

MrMorden wrote:The EAA Fly-In and Chili cook is happening at the Blairsville Airport from 10a-2p on Saturday. This was a fun event last year, and the wife and I are planning to attend again this year if weather permits. Is anybody else attending? FastEddie? Flocker?

Last year we were witness to many thrilling displays of airmanship in a spot landing contest, as well as a display by a Cub driver of "what not to do in an airplane." ;)

It should be a good time.
Thanks for the heads up. We're closing on our new home on Friday and we're moving in on Saturday.

Wx permitting, I do plan to fly in to the airshow at RMG on Sunday. I'll post the link in a different thread.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Andy, we're co-hosting a day visit to Arcadia Municipal X06 on Saturday to review their progress on Florida's first Pilot Shelter. And it sure looks like your gathering and ours are going to benefit from some great weather! (Oops, I shouldn't have said that, should I?)
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Jack Tyler wrote:Andy, we're co-hosting a day visit to Arcadia Municipal X06 on Saturday to review their progress on Florida's first Pilot Shelter. And it sure looks like your gathering and ours are going to benefit from some great weather! (Oops, I shouldn't have said that, should I?)
I hope you are right. We will have to meet up some other time, you are not that far away.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

The Blairsville fly-in was fun, though turnout was light because of the airshow in Rome. My wife and I flew up in the CTSW, accompanies by my friend Kip in his Waiex (Y-tailed Sonex). My max cruise was about the same speed as his economy cruise, so it worked out pretty well. Winds were gusty, but generally under ten knots at the ground. Just enough to make it fun without causing cold sweats.

And on the way home the tailwind at altitude allowed the CT to get a new GPS ground speed record in level flight...144 knots (~166mph).

Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nice pix, Andy. Thanks for posting.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

That event is sponsored by my EAA group, and Karen normally brings some of her world-famous vegetarian chili and cornbread.

This year we skipped it in favor of Blue Ridge's "Paws in the Park".

Jake had a pretty aggressive melanoma removed from his tongue a few months back, and while they seemed to get all of it, the prognosis is still not great. Neither radiation nor an oral cancer vaccine seem very effective at actually buying them time, so his time remaining with us may be measured more in months rather than years.

So we've been spoiling him, and both he and the crowds along the parade route seem to get a kick out of a dog in a sidecar:

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it, even without the "drunken Cub" routine from last year!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Eddie, I never realized you have a sidecar for your BMW. Very pretty!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

MrMorden wrote:And on the way home the tailwind at altitude allowed the CT to get a new GPS ground speed record in level flight...144 knots (~166mph).
Nice!
Aviation Real Estate Broker
designrs

Post by designrs »

Very cool… everything.