"Mobile" Sport CFI Instruction in the USA

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

Hambone

"Mobile" Sport CFI Instruction in the USA

Post by Hambone »

As semi-retirement looms nearer, we're considering selling up and traveling permanently around the US in an RV. I'm planning on towing a folding-wing LSA, and possibly instructing as we travel around the USA.

Anyone else doing this? If so, are there any pitfalls/restrictions regarding instructing in multiple states?

Thanks!
Merlinspop

Re: "Mobile" Sport CFI Instruction in the USA

Post by Merlinspop »

Hi! It seems like an interesting idea. A few things pop to mind, but I'm sure they're not insurmountable. You've probably already thought of them.

- If you're pulling a trailer with your RV, that means you won't be pulling a Toad (car) to get around in at each stop. It might get old driving an RV around as your daily driver. Rent/lease a car locally? Spouse/partner driving the car separately?

- Is there an issue with State/Local business licenses? No idea on that. I know there are mobile IFR trainers, so there's got to be a way to deal with this sort of thing.

- My guess is that you'd be in one location for the entire duration of a student(s)'s training. Would this be a 'cram course' where the student takes time off work and does nothing but fly? Or will your schedule be flexible enough to accommodate long, unexpected delays. What about the next student you have lined up in the next location?

- Would you stay at a (hopefully) nearby campground, or boondock at the airport (assuming permission to do so)? Storage for the trailer when you're at a location?

Sounds like fun, and as I said, I'm sure you thought of all of these and more.
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

You would be living the dream, if you could get the logistics to work out!

You don't need a car, if you can find a way to take a couple of scooters along. Setup properly they can work out fine for small grocery runs, if you need a big provision stop you'd have to move the RV.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

We both ride motorcycles, and they will go in the back of one of these: http://outlawrv.com/class-a

That will free us up for towing the trailer and aircraft. The RV will double as academic classroom, and we'll plan on staying in each area long enough to get 3-4 students through their license. Security permitting, the trailer will function as a mobile hangar, too, possibly parked at a local airfield.

My wife works as a life coach, and as mobile broadband matures, she can work via Skype while we're on the road, too.

That's the plan... at least so far!
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

It's the Aerotrek I'm looking at. It's relatively inexpensive and seems simple to maintain and repair. Although I like the looks of the taildragger, I suppose the tri-gear would be better for training.

Yes, the plan would be to stay around each location for enough time to get a class of students their license, and maybe a bit longer to allow the students to rent the aircraft. It's a bonus to be able to have the aircraft available for our personal use, too.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hambone wrote:It's the Aerotrek I'm looking at.
Coincidentally, I was just flying an A220 (taildragger) two days ago. It would make a fine trainer, though you'd best look into the cost of commercil insurance - that is likely to be the most expensive line item in your budget.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Thanks for the comments!

Paul - do you mean that taildragger insurance will be more expensive than trigear, or that insurance overall will be costly?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Actually, both.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Paul - can you recommend insurance types/techniques to cover such a venture? I remember reading that your students must have their own renter's insurance. Is that a requirement?
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

There's also much discussion about Hambone's idea in threads from two years ago, if folks are interested. Search is your friend.

Ham, Paul's business is one you should probably benchmark for the purpose of teasing out the many details. (E.g. the insurance he carries for his aircraft doesn't protect the renter's liability, which is very typical. So the student buys a renter's policy for *their* protection and Paul has a commercial policy to cover *his* liability.) The reason I'm recommend you benchmark Paul's biz is because he can't help himself from documenting every aspect of his operation, and it's all done thoughtfully and thoroughly. A good place to start might be to read some of his 'annual reports'. Reading through his website would be IMO the equivalent of getting a grad degree in Sport Flying Instruction.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Thanks, Jack. Although I certainly appreciate Paul's thorough and methodical documentation, I find it quite intimidating!

This is meant to be a fun little semi-retirement venture... not too much work...
drseti

Post by drseti »

Ham, not mentioned in my documentation but probably relevant to you is the issue of airport indemnification. My airport management (the city) insists on being named as a co-insured on my policy. If you are moving from airport to airport, this is of course impractical. So, ask an insurance broker if they can insert a clause indemnifying the operator of any airport on which you set up shop. I'd suggest you talk to Falcon (EAA's agency) about this. You can reach them through a link on my website - use its search engine and look for "insurance".

Sorry you find my website intimidating - not my intention! :)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Thanks again for the great info, Paul.

It's not your website I find intimidating. It's the huge amount of your thorough and well-presented information that I should spend more time studying!