Light Sport Repairman Course or Rotax specific courses?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: Light Sport Repairman Course or Rotax specific courses?

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Appendix A to Part 43 is the final authority. The FAA has said that manufacturers can not take away or give privileges that are given in the regulations.
Yes, Tom, we've had this discussion before, and generally I agree that Appendix A dictates. But remember, under Part 43, compliance methods employed are still dictated by the manufacturer, so to that extent, an owner/operator must still consult the maintenance manual. Nothing in Part 43 Appendix A says you can disregard the manufacturer's procedures when performing PM tasks.
"(a) Each person performing maintenance, alteration, or preventive maintenance on an aircraft, engine, propeller, or appliance shall use the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, except as noted in §43.16." Notice that there are other ways to perform maintenance besides the manufacturers MM.

I didn't say you should not follow the manufaturers procedures. What I said is the manufacturer is not the final authority. The FAA is the final authority. If there is an item listed in appendix "A" that is not in the aircraft MM it can still be done as preventive maintenance if the procedure can be performed using other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator. If it does not involve complex assembly operations.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

A lot of regulations and interpretations. Do I need to retain an attorney? :)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Nomore767 wrote:Do I need to retain an attorney? :)
Without a doubt.

Here's one that comes highly recommended:

Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Nomore767 wrote:A lot of regulations and interpretations. Do I need to retain an attorney? :)
I hope not, but trying to keep up can sometimes be problematic. Almost 10 years in and we are still sorting everything out. After spending quite a bit of time reading the regulations and rulingd I don't agree with some of the early thoughts and sayings.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Nomore767 wrote:A lot of regulations and interpretations. Do I need to retain an attorney? :)
Actually, I recommend the AOPA legal services plan. For some small fee above your membership dues, if you run afoul of the regulations they provide consultation and representation services for free. Cheap insurance.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
IFlyRC

Post by IFlyRC »

Is the beginning 1-2 Rotax-specific course enough for one to feel comfortable while maintaining their own engine? It's really appealing to be able to fully understand the engine, but daunting at the same time. Were any of you in a similar situation? Was it worth it? Do the classes eliminate the uncertainty or any possible learning curve with running and maintaining the engine?
drseti

Post by drseti »

In order to actually perform minor repairs, you're going to need to hold at least an LSRM certificate, and take the Rotax Maintenance level course. For major repairs, you'll need the LSRM plus the Rotax Heavy Maintenance level course. For Preventive Maintenance, as well as routine operation, you'll want to take the Rotax service level course.

These are all explained in my Rotax EAA webinar:
http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=3503823469001
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
IFlyRC

Post by IFlyRC »

drseti wrote:In order to actually perform minor repairs, you're going to need to hold at least an LSRM certificate, and take the Rotax Maintenance level course. For major repairs, you'll need the LSRM plus the Rotax Heavy Maintenance level course. For Preventive Maintenance, as well as routine operation, you'll want to take the Rotax service level course.

These are all explained in my Rotax EAA webinar:
http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=3503823469001
That's a good point about the LSRM requirement. I read about that in another PDF, but I forgot that it applied to the 2nd class. It makes more sense to have that requirement in addition to the Rotax-specific courses that were mentioned above. I actually came across those training centers (like the one in California) from your webinar. I don't think I'd do maintenance work professionally on any large scale, but I like the idea of getting to know the technical side behind the engine. Maybe that's foolhardy when you can just hire someone to do the work for you, but it appeals to me.

Ideally I would like to do all of the work short of overhauling the engine, but the first course might be as far as I'd go.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Nomore767 wrote:Lockwood, at Sebring, do a series of Rotax specific courses from servicing to repairs to overhauls. Usually 2-3 days.
Just curious HH, did you ever take the course at Lockwood? I'm registered for the service course on 3/28 & 3/29.

Any tips on the course before I head down there?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Flocker wrote:
Nomore767 wrote:Lockwood, at Sebring, do a series of Rotax specific courses from servicing to repairs to overhauls. Usually 2-3 days.
Just curious HH, did you ever take the course at Lockwood? I'm registered for the service course on 3/28 & 3/29.

Any tips on the course before I head down there?
I haven't taken any courses yet, however the service course would be my first step. I'd thought about changing my own oil for example but then figured, using 93 non-ethanol exclusively, it's easier to have my mechanic do it since at least every other one is about when the condition inspection would be done anyway.

In your case I would probably try to ask as much as I could about the 912iS engine since there are more electronics to consider and no carbs. My mechanic said he rarely sees a 912iS and the courses he's done don't go into as much detail about them apparently.
drseti

Post by drseti »

My last Rotax Heavy Maintenance course (one year ago; I repeat that one every two years because they're always introducing new product) delved into the iS. Before that, the Heavy course only covered the 912 ULS and 914. I'm guessing next year when I retake the course, it may cover the 915.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US