remove wings on quicksilver? (SLSA)

The Federal Aviation Regulations (also know as FAR's). This is the Bible of aviation, the rules under which we operate. This is where you'll find everything you want to know about pilots and airplanes in the United States. Ask questions. Get answers.

Moderator: drseti

CharlieTango

Re: remove wings on quicksilver? (SLSA)

Post by CharlieTango »

What's a Remos?
drseti

Post by drseti »

CharlieTango wrote:What's a Remos?
German high-wing composite SLSA, Rotax 912ULS powered. http://www.my-remos.de
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The accident happened at the Sebring expo.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

drseti wrote:

I was being sarcastic. I remember when you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a Remos ad proclaiming them to be the 'be all and end all' in LSA, now - not so much.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CharlieTango wrote:
drseti wrote:

I was being sarcastic. I remember when you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a Remos ad proclaiming them to be the 'be all and end all' in LSA, now - not so much.
They did die pretty quickly, I don't think they have sold an airplane in the last three years. But they are not bad from what I've seen, before the accident at Sebring Remos and FD were neck-and-neck in sales and popularity. I only picked them as an example because I knew off the top of my head they have folding wings.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

MrMorden wrote:They did die pretty quickly, I don't think they have sold an airplane in the last three years. But they are not bad from what I've seen, before the accident at Sebring Remos and FD were neck-and-neck in sales and popularity. I only picked them as an example because I knew off the top of my head they have folding wings.
I don't think they were ever neck-and-neck. When we flew formation for a long cross-country the Remos couldn't hold up, or keep up, or carry enough. I think they successfully marketed as equivalent but in real world use it wasn't there as far as I could see.

MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CharlieTango wrote:
MrMorden wrote:They did die pretty quickly, I don't think they have sold an airplane in the last three years. But they are not bad from what I've seen, before the accident at Sebring Remos and FD were neck-and-neck in sales and popularity. I only picked them as an example because I knew off the top of my head they have folding wings.
I don't think they were ever neck-and-neck. When we flew formation for a long cross-country the Remos couldn't hold up, or keep up, or carry enough. I think they successfully marketed as equivalent but in real world use it wasn't there as far as I could see.

The useful load on a Remos is generally higher than a CTSW (often around 650lb), but they really have nowhere to store anything.

A mechanic once showed me the aileron interconnect for the wing folding mechanism on a Remos, as an example of how NOT to design such a thing. It's really flimsy.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Now we have a good example of what sarcasm is and isn't in this thread. :D
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »