CFI exercising Sport Pilot CFI Privileges question

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

VL Roberts

Re: CFI exercising Sport Pilot CFI Privileges question

Post by VL Roberts »

3Dreaming wrote:
VL Roberts wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Boy, this sure blew up yesterday.

There is no question that a sub part H flight instructor without a medical can give instruction in a light sport aircraft using only a drivers' license, and they must operate under the privileges of a sport pilot instructor. The regulations are pretty clear.

That was not the question though. The question is does the time count towards the private pilot certificate. The FAA ruling stated that training provided by a sub part K flight instructor does not count towards the private pilot certificate. A sub part H instructor is still a sub part H instructor even if thay are only exercising sub part K privileges. The time should count toward the private pilot certificate, because the instructor has received the required training in the eyes of the FAA to provide private pilot instruction unlike the sub part K instructor. There will be some training required for the private that they can not do because thay are only flying with a drivers' license.
Let's forget about Sport Pilot for a moment. Do you contend that a CFI w/o a medical can provide instruction to a student pilot pursuing a Private Pilot certificate so long as instruction takes place in a LSA?
That is not what I said. Instruction given to a sport pilot student by a sub part H flight instructor can be counted towards the private pilot certificate. This is dirrected to the OP original question.
As whether a sub part H flight instructor can give instruction to a private pilot student in a LSA without a medical. Just reading the FAR's and not looking at any legal rulings from the FAA I would say no. This is just like the fact that a student pilot must hold at least a third class medical to exercise the privileges regardles of the type of airplane they are flying, unless they are seeking sport pilot privileges in a light sport aircraft.
I think the need for a medical really comes down to what are the intensions of the student.
What it comes down to is what airman certificate is being applied for and what were the PRIVILEGES of the instructor that gave the instruction. If the instructor doesn't have the privilege of instructing for Private then no way would the hours subsequently count just based on a students intention.

I think Paul realizes that also based on his previous answer about Subpart H instructors w/o medicals instructing for Private.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The basis that the FAA used to say that a sub part K instruction time could not count towards the private pilot certificate was the fact that a sub part K instructor was not even required to receive the training that a private pilot needs. A sub part H instructor has been trained and tested in all eliments of the areas of training that a private pilot needs, and the fact that he is exercising sport pilot instructor privileges does not change the fact that he is still a sub part H instructor.
drseti

Post by drseti »

+1, Tom.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

Ok. I'm not writing any letters or making any phone calls to the FAA because this issue doesn't affect me.

But has any instructor advising students about this issue at least called the Sport Branch in OKC? A call to them and getting an opinion does not run the same risk as writing a letter to the FAA and receiving a legal interpretation .

At least see how their answer compares to Mr Yodice.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks for the response.

The discussion of examiners also let me to another question:

Can a regular DPE give sport pilot checkrides to sport pilot candidates or does it have to be given by a Sport Pilot Examiner (SPE)?
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

N918KT wrote:Thanks for the response.

The discussion of examiners also let me to another question:

Can a regular DPE give sport pilot checkrides to sport pilot candidates or does it have to be given by a Sport Pilot Examiner (SPE)?
If the DPE does not have the authority to do sport pilot checkrides the it can be given on a case by case basis by the FAA.
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

FlyingForFun wrote:
VL Roberts wrote:Ok. I'm not writing any letters or making any phone calls to the FAA because this issue doesn't affect me.

But has any instructor advising students about this issue at least called the Sport Branch in OKC? A call to them and getting an opinion does not run the same risk as writing a letter to the FAA and receiving a legal interpretation .

At least see how their answer compares to Mr Yodice.
I called and got a ruling that a CFI flying LSA with driver's license could put a student under a hood in LSA since he is a qualified PIC, a different, but similiar question.
Much different question. I doubt anyone will call the Sport Branch about the topic at hand. They wouldn't like the answer.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks for reaching out and confirming that, FFF. Do you happen to recall who you spoke to? If it was Mr. Ford, that would constitute a credible policy statement.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

FFF, thanks for getting an answer from the Light Sport Branch.