Build it they will come, its built.

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

Torque

Build it they will come, its built.

Post by Torque »

4 bedroom dorm style living with 1 1/2 bath with study room and meeting room, kitchen utility room all just steps away from heliport with Hangar, class room and Fixed wing hangar on 4000' sod field 27-9

Looking for training team CFI ect. We will be doing condition inspection here in central IL. for all EAB's. The owner can fly in or trailer in, can stay on site for a small fee and will be hands on in this Condition inspection. This will cost 250 bucks just for the inspection with the owner doing most all the work to keep the cost low.

We are also looking to do Annual Inspections for we have an A&P IA who will be on board in a few months after he retires.

Do you live close by, have your own training center and want to expand or grow or become part of a network of training centers. Come join us from the ground up on this adventure.

Anthony
Torque

Re: Build it they will come, its built.

Post by Torque »

We have a CFI on board and now are looking to purchase our first LSA for this project. It is moving forward.

Tony
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Tony, I suggest you add the field identifier - or if it isn't registered, then it's approximate location. That would help folks determine how readily accessible you are and also permit a viewing via Google Earth.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Torque

Post by Torque »

Jack Tyler wrote:Tony, I suggest you add the field identifier - or if it isn't registered, then it's approximate location. That would help folks determine how readily accessible you are and also permit a viewing via Google Earth.
3IS5 Holmes Field just south of class c airspace for Capital airport, well its official name is Abraham Lincoln Capitol Airport but I believe that is a bit long winded. Whom ever thought up that one was smoking something.....

Tony
Torque

Post by Torque »

I spoke with a man whom is going after his Sport Pilot certificate. He told me he is ready to quite, here is why.

Quote from him " I am out talking with CFI's about getting my sport pilot certificate. Everyone wants to train me according to the PP standards. I show them my PTS book for sport pilot and they will not follow this book."

I told him these are the issue's we will be dealing with and we will train you according to the PTS standards. I even explained to him this will be the bare bones certificate and if he wanted to do more then whats offered by the bare bones approach he would need to come back for more training.

He loved the idea and signed up for our class even though we have not even posted when this will start. He even wants to invest in this school, we must be doing something right or on the right track.
Torque

Post by Torque »

This is really exciting. Things are moving forward. Gyro, trike, Fixed wing we are going to be covering it all. Like everything else its a slow crawl but it is moving.

I will try and get some pics. They are to big too down load and I have no idea how to make them smaller. Let me work on this. Not real good at this computer stuff.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Last edited by Torque on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torque

Post by Torque »

CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

I was lucky enough to get my SP certificate from a dedicated sport pilot training school and an instructor with a couple thousand hours in LSA's. I guess I am missing the concern over PTS differences. In almost every flight maneuver the tolerances are the same between PP and SP and the check ride is very similar. OK so you don't do the night training, instrument work besides familiarization, shorter cross country (although you can just fly your solo CC to the PP standards) and need to add B/C/D but the vast majority of the PTS is identical.

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
Torque

Post by Torque »

newamiga wrote:I was lucky enough to get my SP certificate from a dedicated sport pilot training school and an instructor with a couple thousand hours in LSA's. I guess I am missing the concern over PTS differences. In almost every flight maneuver the tolerances are the same between PP and SP and the check ride is very similar. OK so you don't do the night training, instrument work besides familiarization, shorter cross country (although you can just fly your solo CC to the PP standards) and need to add B/C/D but the vast majority of the PTS is identical.

Carl

You are missing the point.
When the regs state that for SP one must perform, a-b, but the cfi wants a-b-c-d. , and will not listen when he is told that the regs state the SP pilot only needs to do a-b. This is the problem a lot of people I speak with have of the CFI training the SP program. They want to tailor to what they believe is best not what the regs state.
Most do not like this, in fact everyone I have spoke with do not like this.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I have never taught a pilot to Recreational or Sport Pilot standards. If I did, I would download the appropriate Practical Test Standards and use them as a guide, but...

There's an expression "teaching to the test", which has a negative connotation. To some extent, teachers should have some latitude to emphasize different aspects of a subject, going above and beyond the test standards.

IOW, ask yourself if you would narrow your search for an instructor to those who would teach you the absolute minimum necessary to get a license, or would choose one whose judgment you trusted to give a little extra training to the extent to make you a safer pilot?

Of course, one would have to implicitly trust their instructor not to take advantage and "milk" them for more hours. But trust has to be kind of implicit in an instructor/student relationship.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Torque wrote:
newamiga wrote:I was lucky enough to get my SP certificate from a dedicated sport pilot training school and an instructor with a couple thousand hours in LSA's. I guess I am missing the concern over PTS differences. In almost every flight maneuver the tolerances are the same between PP and SP and the check ride is very similar. OK so you don't do the night training, instrument work besides familiarization, shorter cross country (although you can just fly your solo CC to the PP standards) and need to add B/C/D but the vast majority of the PTS is identical.

Carl

You are missing the point.
When the regs state that for SP one must perform, a-b, but the cfi wants a-b-c-d. , and will not listen when he is told that the regs state the SP pilot only needs to do a-b. This is the problem a lot of people I speak with have of the CFI training the SP program. They want to tailor to what they believe is best not what the regs state.
Most do not like this, in fact everyone I have spoke with do not like this.
I sure wish you would give a more specific answer as to what they are trying to teach, so a propper responce can be made. From a CFI point of view you are first a student pilot. The regulations are very specific about what you must be taught before you can solo and these requirements are the same for sport or private pilot. I also know from student checkrides that there is not much difference in what the examiner checks. The big differences are no simulated instrument and no electronic navigation.