A/C in LSA?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

kitcarguy

A/C in LSA?

Post by kitcarguy »

Is there such an animal? Of course other than a bag of ice and a fan, or open windows :lol:
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

Doubtful that there are any LSA's with built in air conditioning. Just fly higher, its cooler up there. I've flown a Piper Archer & a 172 with air conditioning and the only time its really useful is on the ground. Otherwise, its easier to just climb up to altitude and let some air in the cabin.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

There's that really big fan out in front of all (or at least almost all) LSA's... If you open the canopy you tend to feel the breeze... ;D
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
SportCubJim

a

Post by SportCubJim »

Too much weight for an LSA.
Jim
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Of course it's hard to go higher if you have a layer of broken clouds above.
Only solution that might work would be an Arctic Air, which is basically a glorified bag of ice and a fan, but they are supposed to work well if you can stand the weight and can find a place to put it.
kitcarguy

Post by kitcarguy »

I figured this was the case. I just did not know if there was any sort of "aftermarket" type deal on the market.

Thanks for the answers
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

rsteele wrote:Of course it's hard to go higher if you have a layer of broken clouds above.
Good point. I wouldn't have thought of that one right away. I'd just climb above them anyway, but I'm not a sport pilot, so that would explain it.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

KSCessnaDriver wrote:
rsteele wrote:Of course it's hard to go higher if you have a layer of broken clouds above.
Good point. I wouldn't have thought of that one right away. I'd just climb above them anyway, but I'm not a sport pilot, so that would explain it.
I only mentioned it because I was a passenger on short flight last weekend where this happened. The pilot was instrument rated, but the flight was short enough that it wasn't worth the trouble to climb. I was thinking how bad a day like this would as a SP on a long flight - ninety degrees and a enough sun to make it hotter and too much cloud to climb,

Ron
AndyJ

Post by AndyJ »

I think those Arctic Air things weigh ~60lb full of ice.
I'm doing some flying with a guy who wants to buy one (old Bonanza without all the vents the newer ones have, gets to be REAL hot in there on those 90deg/90% humidity days)
I'll report back on whether or not it works after he gets it.
drseti

Post by drseti »

ibgarrett wrote:There's that really big fan out in front of all (or at least almost all) LSA's
Yes, and it's been said that the purpose of that fan is to keep the pilot cool. (Don't believe me? Let the fan stop, and watch the pilot start sweating.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
kitcarguy

Post by kitcarguy »

Thats Great!!
drseti wrote:
ibgarrett wrote:There's that really big fan out in front of all (or at least almost all) LSA's
Yes, and it's been said that the purpose of that fan is to keep the pilot cool. (Don't believe me? Let the fan stop, and watch the pilot start sweating.)
FlyCool

FlyCool - 22 lb A/C for LSA's

Post by FlyCool »

zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

The "FlyCool" is exactly the system that Corbi tried to sell, with AMT being their contractor for it.
http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2 ... oning.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_dENzp8V3o
I'm wondering if the relationship is still amicable between the two. The website of Corbi does not list the system as such (it's only in the news section). Apparently Ron was the driving force behind this. It would be a bit sad it AMT figured out they don't need him anymore.
FlyCool

Post by FlyCool »

zaitcev wrote:The "FlyCool" is exactly the system that Corbi tried to sell, with AMT being their contractor for it.
http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2 ... oning.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_dENzp8V3o
I'm wondering if the relationship is still amicable between the two. The website of Corbi does not list the system as such (it's only in the news section). Apparently Ron was the driving force behind this. It would be a bit sad it AMT figured out they don't need him anymore.
Yes, Corbi Air is a great customer of AMT.

AMT also distributes their products through Aircraft Spruce:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... lackit.php
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

How much is the FlyCool unit? And installation? We're talking thousands, not hundreds, yes? And 45 amp draw, requiring it's own alternator (!) - wonder what portion of the available hp would be needed for that. And 20# of weight, plus the ability of the a/c to absorb both the weight itself and the CG change. Wow. Lots of $$ and a big ripple effect, especially for an LSA.

What about a unit that cost $150, the cooling of its air is usually free, weighs only 10#, takes 2 amps (from your 12V outlet) and will drop the temperature 15-20F for a 2-3 hour flight (so e.g. from a blistering 92F to <80F)?

Visit our local EAA chapter's website and read thru the October, 2011 newsletter, and consider how easy it is to build your own: http://www.193.eaachapter.org/apps/documents/

As an alternative to getting ice from the FBO, consider purchasing several of the cans or sealed bags of eutectic solution and uses them in lieu of some of the ice. (Some ice melt is needed for circulatory reasons). Here are several pireps on this stone simple approach:

"With ramp temps
nearing 100F, [Elvis] test-flew his DIY air conditioner and, within 10 mins of closing up the
4-passenger cockpit, was flying in high ambient air temps at a comfortable 80F.
Amazingly, on only 6-8# of ice, this cabin temp was maintained for ~2 hours on a 3-leg
flight. Follwing this success, another chapter member wanted to do some pattern work
on an abysmally hot, humid afternoon and borrowed Elvis’ cooler to enjoy comfy cabin
temps for the flight’s duration – all on about 6# of ice. Pretty soon it won't just be fuel
prices that we'll be calling FBO's about, but also to ask if their ice machine is working."
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org