Tecnam Demo program

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Mark Gregor

Tecnam Demo program

Post by Mark Gregor »

Tecnam has announced a demo program for new aircraft on danjohnson.com. I am going to take them up on it and trade for a new P2008 so there will be one for sale shortly with approx 200hrs.

My question is if I should make any changes from my current panel.

I currently have a G3x two screen system with a GTX330 and SL40. All the engine guages are round dial and not in the G3X as I didnt want to give up any real estate ona the G3x and then have unused panel space.

I will get the SL30 nav/com this time as the weather is on the nav frequencies at several airports in our area. I know I can get it in text form on the G3X but i have found it sometimes does not get updated for a while and I like current weather.

any suggestions?
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

You're trading for a new p2008? What are you trading in, your p2008? What have they changed between yours and the new one?
drseti

Re: Tecnam Demo program

Post by drseti »

jake wrote:I will get the SL30 nav/com this time
A very wise choice, Jake. That's the radio I put in my SportStar. Not only is it convenient to be able to tune audio from the nav frequencies, it is still useful to have VOR/LOC/GS capability (especially if the GPS ever goes offline). If you have panel space, I'd also recommend a mechanical CDI (I rather like the Garmin MD-200-306 with its nice rectilinear display). Make sure the SL-30's resolver is wired to recognize the external OBS in the CDI. (Don't forget that you'll also have to get a horizontally polarized VHF nav dipole installed -- you might consider the Comant CI-158C2). And, despite the fancy electronic glass panel displays, I've always liked to have an old-fashioned inclinometer (ball) for backup. The Winter QM2 slip indicator is relatively cheap from Aircraft Spruce, and requires only a small rectangular cutout in the panel -- though you'll probably need a Letter of Authorization from Tecnam to install one.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

theskunk wrote:You're trading for a new p2008? What are you trading in, your p2008? What have they changed between yours and the new one?
Yes I am trading in my P2008. I dont believe there is any differences to the new one just newer. They have a demo discount program on now that makes the price attractive but I will get less for my plane also so its a wash.
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Paul

Would I be able to use the CDI in the G3X and the mechanical one or how should this be installed?

Jake
drseti

Post by drseti »

The SL-30 can be wired to drive both a mechanical CDI and an electronic HSA on an EFIS screen. It's probably not a bad idea to hook it up to both, but I think you'll find you use mostly the old-school mechanical device. You do have to tell the SL-30 (in one of its setup menus) what kind of resolver to use for the OBS. I find it's a lot easier to turn a physical knob and spin the bezel to a desired radial (or to center a needle) than it is to punch buttons or soft-keys.

But, then again, I'm just an analog kind of guy...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US