Hello from Ohio

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

SoaringSeth

Hello from Ohio

Post by SoaringSeth »

Hello. I'm Seth. I'm 34 and live in Southwest Ohio. I just signed up at a local airport for the Sports Pilot Program. Any other Ohio folks in here?
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Seth - welcome to SPT. How'd you decide on Sport Pilot instead of the full Private Pilot route?

Great blog you have, by the way. Really interesting to read what you're doing!

Tom
SoaringSeth

Post by SoaringSeth »

Thanks! I debated on which one to go for and chose the Sports Pilot because I want to see how I enjoy it. If I really enjoy it then I can get my private pilot later since the hours will count.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Sounds like good reasons to me!

You're right about the hours counting toward Private. Just about the only real limitation you run into is that guys flying as Sport Pilots are limited to flying only Light Sport Aircraft. Unfortunately those are hard to find for rental, so most Sport Pilots seem to buy their own planes. I gave you a link to a list of LSA's in your other topic here.

Tom
HARDLANDING

Post by HARDLANDING »

Hello Seth;

Southwest Ohio was my first choice in locations when I was searching for a flight school.

I thought when I went to your Blog that it would say Cincinnati's Lunken Airport, or Blue Ash Airport, or maybe even Sporty's; didn't know Wright Patterson was open to general aviation.

The flight school I attend here in Florida is Lockwood Aviation; it is far enough from my home to be a pain to drive, but not far enough to present a compelling reason for taking up lodging or camping in Sebring.

Cincinnati is my old-time home town, and I was looking for a good reason to make an extended visit.

Interested in you experiences with landing a low-wing airplane.

Ciao, HARDLANDING
SoaringSeth

I looked all of those airports

Post by SoaringSeth »

I had a friend who took lessons out of Lunken.

The airport I am flying out of is actually Dayton Wright Brothers Airport. It is owned by the city of Dayton. Its not affiliated with Wright Patterson Airforce Base. Its about 10 miles south of downtown. I live in between Cincinnati and Dayton so I had lots of choices. I also work about 2 miles from the airport so it fit best for me.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Hi Seth, I'm located in beautiful north central Ohio and I am also working towards my Light Sport license (and I'm almost there!). A flying school featuring light sport aircraft opened at my home airport recently. I will probably go on to get my private pilot license, but I don't know when. Good luck with your training.

Hi Brian!
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Seth - how are those lessons going? Checked your blog and see the latest entry on April 27.

Still on your way?

Tom