Welcome!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Welcome!

Post by TimTaylor »

If I knew I could pass another FAA medical, I would have had one 5 years ago when I started back flying and never flown LSA. I also wouldn't need Basic Med until it expired 2 years later.
Retired from flying.
Buckbenton

Post by Buckbenton »

Hello. Just joined and looking forward to starting on my first project LSA. Found a 1941 Aeronca Champ that has been in a barn since 1974. I've been watching videos and absorbing all I can about putting fabric on. Have a local guy here that will rebuild the power plant. Any recommendations welcome. Buck - Cartersville, GA
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Welcome. Since that is a standard certificated aircraft, make sure you conform to all the maintenance requirements during the rebuild. I have no idea what they are. I live in Roswell, so let me know if you ever need/want a partner.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Buckbenton wrote:Hello. Just joined and looking forward to starting on my first project LSA. Found a 1941 Aeronca Champ that has been in a barn since 1974. I've been watching videos and absorbing all I can about putting fabric on. Have a local guy here that will rebuild the power plant. Any recommendations welcome. Buck - Cartersville, GA
Welcome aboard. If it was built in 1941 it wouldn't be a Champ, they weren't designed until the end of WWII. Maybe a TC65 or Defender if tandem seating? I'm a Taylorcraft man myself.
Buckbenton

Post by Buckbenton »

Thanks Tim and Jim for the replies. I will check the log books to see exactly what model it is when I go pick it up. Was bought in 74 by a gentleman that was going to restore it. He removed the wings, took it home and started disassembling but got sick and never went further than removing the cowling, windshield and fuselage fabric. Wings still covered but probably the original cotton and will need recovering for sure. Thanks again.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Buckbenton wrote:Thanks Tim and Jim for the replies. I will check the log books to see exactly what model it is when I go pick it up. Was bought in 74 by a gentleman that was going to restore it. He removed the wings, took it home and started disassembling but got sick and never went further than removing the cowling, windshield and fuselage fabric. Wings still covered but probably the original cotton and will need recovering for sure. Thanks again.
Probably not original fabric. Back in the 1940's when these airplanes were produced that fabric only lasted about 5 years or maybe a bit longer if you were lucky. If it was taken down in 1974 for cover it could have cotton, or a early polyester fabric. They started using polyester fabric in the early 1960's. Had it been flying in recent years before the guy bought it to restore?
Buckbenton

Post by Buckbenton »

Yes, it was flying when he bought it.