new member from CA

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

claws

new member from CA

Post by claws »

Just joined the forum and hoping to learn more about becoming a certified sport pilot. I wanted to get a private pilot certificate but the FAA won't OK a medical from a colon cancer patient. Sport Pilot will allow me to do almost anything I want to do flying wise anyway. Looking to start my training in the next few weeks.

Kim
chicagorandy

Re: new member from CA

Post by chicagorandy »

Best advice I'd offer would be to check out who has any Light Sport airplanes to rent sufficiently close to you. Most flight schools do not. LSA availability can be a deciding factor, more so than finding a Sport Pilot teacher. Unless of course you are financially able to purchase, insure and store one of your own. Here in inner-city Chicago rental LSAs are purt near unicorns -lol
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
claws

Post by claws »

I'm counting on the MOSAIC rule being implemented by the time I finish my training next year. When it passes I'll be able to rent/fly most of the planes at my local airport that are owned by my training organization.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Welcome! It sounds like you are in a good place if you have a local training organization that is Light Sport friendly and has certified aircraft for rent as well. Best of luck on your pilot journey!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

claws wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:13 pm I'm counting on the MOSAIC rule being implemented by the time I finish my training next year. When it passes I'll be able to rent/fly most of the planes at my local airport that are owned by my training organization.
As a tram volunteer at AirVenture each year I often hear the UNofficial FAA motto - "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy." :wink:
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
drseti

Post by drseti »

claws wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:13 pm I'm counting on the MOSAIC rule being implemented by the time I finish my training next year.
Don't hold your breath - the gears of government grind more slowly than you can imagine. The average elapsed time between publishing a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and enacting a final rule is about 3 years.

MOSAIC is just around the corner, and always will be. :(
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:53 am
claws wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:13 pm I'm counting on the MOSAIC rule being implemented by the time I finish my training next year.
Don't hold your breath - the gears of government grind more slowly than you can imagine. The average elapsed time between publishing a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and enacting a final rule is about 3 years.

MOSAIC is just around the corner, and always will be. :(
Concur totally.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

claws wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:13 pm I'm counting on the MOSAIC rule being implemented by the time I finish my training next year. When it passes I'll be able to rent/fly most of the planes at my local airport that are owned by my training organization.
Now this made me laugh. :mrgreen: