New Guy from North Carolina

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Clif001

New Guy from North Carolina

Post by Clif001 »

Hi all.

Not a pilot (yet), unless you count a couple of hundred hours on Microsoft Flight Simulator. 😉

But things will come in their own time.

I'm 66 years old and retired. I grew up in a suburb of LA just under the approach to Fullerton Municipal Airport (KFUL).

Growing up, watching the small planes come in so low (it seemed) over my house I could almost hit them with a baseball, gave me the bug to fly. However, as story always seems to go, life kept getting in the way.

Fast forward to 2001, right after 9/11, I was laid off and that stayed that way for quite a while. During this, I started watching a Wings channel show called "A Plane is Born". After finishing the series, I thought it would be a great idea to build a plane and learn to fly (simultaneously). I'd always wanted to, and it seemed I now had the time. I did some research and settled on a Zenair 601B. I ordered the plans, expecting to build from scratch.

Just after the plans arrived, you guessed it, life started up again.

So we continue to present day (give or take). I was going through an old box and ran across the Zenair plans again.

That restarted the bug.

I've found that the 601B has been replaced with the 650 due to some mechanical issues. So I did some more research and I'm now settled on the Fisher Flying Products Dakota Hawk. I like the fact that it's all wood construction (well, 99% maybe), which suits me since I've been a hobbyist in woodworking for 40+ years.

Not sure what else I can say about myself. I will be looking to get my Sport Pilot license (or certificate, if you're that picky). I have tons of questions about that as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read, sorry it was so long. 🙂
I am me. Always have been, always will be.
Dave C

Re: New Guy from North Carolina

Post by Dave C »

Welcome! What part of North Carolina are you in? I am in the Chapel Hill area.

Have you lined up an instructor and a Sport Pilot eligible airplane you can train with?
Clif001

Post by Clif001 »

Dave C wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:48 pm Welcome! What part of North Carolina are you in? I am in the Chapel Hill area.

Have you lined up an instructor and a Sport Pilot eligible airplane you can train with?
I live in Wake Forest. Closer to Louisburg than Raleigh, but non-locals wouldn't understand. 🙂

Not as yet. I still have lots of questions about the process. I did contact one pilot from the eaa listings, but he did not train sport pilot. I really don't want to bother the schools (if you gotta ask, you can't afford it) just yet. 🙂
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I did my SP training at Louisburg. A started with Total Flight Solutions there. They used to have a couple LSA but they were both lost due to accidents and were not replaced. I ended up buying a plane to complete my training. My flight instructors might both be retired now.

I think you are probably going to be challenged finding an aircraft and instructor combination. If you can go PP finding those things will be much easier.

If you want I can put you in touch with my flight instructors. They are both active in the local aviation community and might be able to help.
Clif001

Post by Clif001 »

Thanks, but I'm not quite ready yet, financially speaking.

Also, Sport Pilot is the firm choice. I'm sure I'll be able to find some school or private instructor to teach. :)