Hello from Florida

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Skydreams

Hello from Florida

Post by Skydreams »

I joined this forum to learn more about being a sports pilot and LSA.

Long story short regarding my flying history (which is actually short...) I earned my single engine land private pilot's license back in 2012. I went to grad school and then started my career with the thought that I would pick up flying again as a hobby once I was settled. I ended up picking up skydiving for a bit on an impulse, life stuff happened and had to put that aside for finances to address before mentioned life stuff. I'm at a point now where I really want to get back to the sky but I'm not sure in what way. Flying LSA, paramotor, skydiving? I think as it is for most, finances are the largest factor. I did not chose a very lucrative career and grad school had its costs.

I don't want to make an impulsive decision and I want to chose a sport in aviation that will fit my lifestyle and budget for the long run. There seems to be A LOT of options and variety with LSA and I don't know where to begin my research really.

I guess where I'll start, to get to the point, is how much do you spend on average per month to fly? (if you don't mind sharing... I also know this will vary a lot by how many hours you fly if you rent / own etc. so please be as descriptive as possible.) I have many questions but I'll just start there.

designrs

Re: Hello from Florida

Post by designrs »

Greetings! I’m in Florida too. Florida is absolutely fantastic for VFR Sport Pilot flying. One hour can take you clear across Florida and chances are that you are almost always able to fly home the same day… and not being stuck grounded due to weather. Awesome destinations are Jekyll Island, Spruce Creek, Cedar Key, Flagler Airport Restaurant, and more.

If you want to get back in the plane again I can recommend Sebring Flight Academy which uses new Bristell Aircraft. I believe they sell ten hour blocks of dual instruction for about $2k, optional student housing available.

Generally speaking, for owning your own plane: hangars are $450 to $650+ a month. Add insurance, gas etc. figure about $1,300+ a month for flying + maintence and your annual. Just hope for no big surprises which can cost $2k for something like a complex Service Buliten or new ignition modules, etc.

Flying is not cheep, but if you fly a lot it’s well worth it to own your own plane… calculating satisfaction vs. cost per month. :D
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Skydreams

Post by Skydreams »

Thanks for your reply 😊 so to own a plane I can figure spending just about about a second mortgage. Looks like renting or joining a flight club will be the way to go.

Do you know if there's any flight clubs specific to sports pilots?
designrs

Post by designrs »

Glad to help! I believe Bristell also offers a “Bristell Shares” program which is like a flight club. Contact Sebring Flight Academy or the Bristell USA importer in Lancaster, PA or NY to put you in touch with the right person for details. I believe the shares program is based in The Villages, Florida.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Hello and welcome Skydreams. I'm also in Florida, Clearwater to be exact. My plane is in Zephyrhills and they have a big (and busy) skydive school there as well. Seems like they are always in the air over the airport.

Where are you located? This is helpful info for others to recommend a flying club to you. I started my training in Apopka (just north of Orlando) at First Landings and they have a flying club for LSA. Not sure if this is close to you or not.
Skydreams

Post by Skydreams »

Thanks for the info, I'm in the Brandon area. I'm okay with driving a bit of a distance (no more than an hour) if needed but would prefer not to if I could find a flying club closer to me.