Sport Pilot training in an Ercoupe

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

PleasantRoad

Sport Pilot training in an Ercoupe

Post by PleasantRoad »

My neighbor owns a few planes and flies from PA to his house in DE nearly every weekend. I also have a place in DE and was a bit envious of the ability to cut a 3.5 hour commute to an hour or less in the air. I hadn’t flown in a GA aircraft since the 80s with my friends dad in his Grumman Tiger. I really just thought flying was out of reach for me. With my neighors encouragement and some direction I recently started out training with a recommended CFI. I couldn’t ask for a better instructor and it has been going great. I’m definitely hooked.
A few flights in I discovered that I was going to run into some hurdles with obtaining my medical. Talking with a few well known AMEs and other sources, I learned that I will most likely be able to get a medical eventually but it will take a bit of time. I decided lsa is a better route for now. I won’t be commuting to our beach place every week over the summer but I will get a lot of flying experience and build hours and confidence with a possibility of eventually going the private route (depending how the lsa rules change in the coming years).
With no lsa to rent at my local airport which is 5 minutes from home in PA, I decided to buy one. After searching for a few months I found what seems like the perfect Ercoupe and it’s being ferried to PA in about two weeks. I’ve been reading everything I can about Ercoupes and lsa aircraft. I’ve joined every forum and online group I can find. I’ve already learned a ton from this forum, so thanks! I’m excited to transition to the ‘coupe from the 172 I’ve been flying.
To support my flying I am a Registered Nurse and fortunate to have a unique schedule. I make a full time salary but work just 24 hours/week - 8 hours every Saturday and 16 hours every Sunday. This means I’ve got lots of time to dedicate to flying and improving my ability. I miss out on some weekend get togethers and other things but all the free time during the week makes it worthwhile. I’m hoping to get more involved with my local airport and perhaps start a second career revolving around something to do with flying/aviation. First step is obtaining my sport pilot certificate. Wish me luck! :wink:
Attachments
FE722521-1401-4CAB-BB72-72436BB51BC9.jpeg
FE722521-1401-4CAB-BB72-72436BB51BC9.jpeg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 6900 times
Warmi

Re: Sport Pilot training in an Ercoupe

Post by Warmi »

Very handsome plane.
Frankly , based on the picture , it looks like it is brand new :-)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
PleasantRoad

Post by PleasantRoad »

Took some time to get here but I passed my checkride this past week. I’m super proud of this accomplishment. Definitely wouldn’t have envisioned myself doing this a few years ago but can’t see myself not doing it 20 years from now. Now to really learn how to fly.
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

PleasantRoad wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:16 pm Took some time to get here but I passed my checkride this past week. I’m super proud of this accomplishment. Definitely wouldn’t have envisioned myself doing this a few years ago but can’t see myself not doing it 20 years from now. Now to really learn how to fly.
Congrats! :D

Very few people start out on a journey to fly, and many of them drop out or otherwise don't make it all the way. It's a great accomplishment!

Enjoy the skies!
Type47

Post by Type47 »

Congratulations!
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….