Greetings from Chicago

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

hopmeamadeus

Greetings from Chicago

Post by hopmeamadeus »

Well, western 'burbs in any case. I started off the normal PPL route, then long story short, found SPL might be a better fit. I did a quick intro flight in a Remos out of KARR and MAN was it fun. Just felt a lot more like the true spirit of flying than driving around a 40-50 year old Cessna. It's a bit of a trip to get out there, but there don't seem to be a lot of sport options in close, and having the tower certainly adds greatly to the education. Anyway, been lurking for a while and noticed a few Chicagoland area pilots here, so just wanted to send a quick shout out.

Keep that right rudder in!
Wm.Ince

Re: Greetings from Chicago

Post by Wm.Ince »

Welcome to the forum!
A great place to share and learn. :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Welcome, lots of great advice and great people here. Enjoy your journey.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Welcome.

You also have http://www.sportpilotchicago.com/ - these guys are flying Evektor low-wing planes.

I did my training at KARR with Dave back in 2017 and as you said, you get a lot of experience flying around fairly busy D class airport.
When I fly around I still often hear N448RA buzzing all over the place :-)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
hopmeamadeus

Post by hopmeamadeus »

Thanks all. Warmi, thanks for the heads up on SPC. It's a bit farther afield, but I'd certainly like to give the Evektor a try - from my research it looks like a great airplane.
drseti

Post by drseti »

hopmeamadeus wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:52 am I'd certainly like to give the Evektor a try - from my research it looks like a great airplane.
I started my flight school a dozen years ago with a single SportStar. It worked so well for me that I bought another one in 2015. I find it an ideal trainer (robust, affordable, and maintainable). It's also fun to fly!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

drseti wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:19 am
hopmeamadeus wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:52 am I'd certainly like to give the Evektor a try - from my research it looks like a great airplane.
I started my flight school a dozen years ago with a single SportStar. It worked so well for me that I bought another one in 2015. I find it an ideal trainer (robust, affordable, and maintainable). It's also fun to fly!
2 Evektor planes and now a Bristell …. living the life , I guess. :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois