Hello from Raleigh NC

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

papayoung

Hello from Raleigh NC

Post by papayoung »

Greetings all! I’m a “rusty pilot” who’s looking to get back in the air after a 30+ year hiatus. I am currently working on knocking the rust off and rebuilding proficiency (and catching up on all the new technology!) out of KTTA.

Back in the day I owned a PA28-140, but this time around I’m going to stick with only exercising sport pilot privileges. I’m intending to buy a S-LSA and I have some questions which I’ll post in a separate string. In the meantime, if there are any other Sport Pilots or LSA-owners here in the Raleigh area I’d love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Papayoung
malexander

Re: Hello from Raleigh NC

Post by malexander »

Welcome aboard Papa...light this board up.
It doesn't seem to get much action. :o
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Welcome aboard, papayoung! :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hey Papayoung,

I am a Sport Pilot from Chapel Hill. I keep my plane (an Evektor Sportstar) at Burlington (KBUY) not too far from you. I often fly down around KTTA and Jordan Lake. BQ1 is another popular spot. Have you been there?

What are you currently flying out of KTTA? I may at some point relocate down there if some good hanger space opens up.

-Dave
jrthomas

Post by jrthomas »

I'm the blue and white Model 4 Kitfox based at KTTA. I'm in hanger D17. We can private message and make plans to meet up. I'm about 15 minutes away.
papayoung

Post by papayoung »

malexander wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:57 pm Welcome aboard Papa...light this board up.
It doesn't seem to get much action. :o
I’m looking forward to it!
papayoung

Post by papayoung »

Wm.Ince wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:37 pm Welcome aboard, papayoung! :D
Thanks!
papayoung

Post by papayoung »

Dave C wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:41 pm Hey Papayoung,

I am a Sport Pilot from Chapel Hill. I keep my plane (an Evektor Sportstar) at Burlington (KBUY) not too far from you. I often fly down around KTTA and Jordan Lake. BQ1 is another popular spot. Have you been there?

What are you currently flying out of KTTA? I may at some point relocate down there if some good hanger space opens up.

-Dave
Hi Dave,

Since there are no LSAs currently available for rent at KTTA, I am flying some of the PA-28s that Executive Flight Training Services has available to work on my currency and proficiency. I have found the folks at EFTS to be extremely helpful and pleasant!

As I mentioned, I will be looking to purchase an LSA soon - the Evektor Sportstar is one of the tops on my list! I’d love to lay eyes on yours and pick your brain about it sometime. Let me know the next time you’re thinking of coming down this way - I’ll treat you to lunch down at BQ1 (I haven’t been there yet but I’ve heard about it from many folks)!

Thanks for your note!

-Chris “Papa” Young
papayoung

Post by papayoung »

jrthomas wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 am I'm the blue and white Model 4 Kitfox based at KTTA. I'm in hanger D17. We can private message and make plans to meet up. I'm about 15 minutes away.
I’d love to meet up sometime. I’ll PM you and see if we can come up with a date.

Thanks for your note!

-Chris “Papa” Young
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

papayoung wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:46 am
Dave C wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:41 pm Hey Papayoung,

-Dave
Hi Dave,

Since there are no LSAs currently available for rent at KTTA, I am flying some of the PA-28s that Executive Flight Training Services has available to work on my currency and proficiency. I have found the folks at EFTS to be extremely helpful and pleasant!

As I mentioned, I will be looking to purchase an LSA soon - the Evektor Sportstar is one of the tops on my list! I’d love to lay eyes on yours and pick your brain about it sometime. Let me know the next time you’re thinking of coming down this way - I’ll treat you to lunch down at BQ1 (I haven’t been there yet but I’ve heard about it from many folks)!

Thanks for your note!

-Chris “Papa” Young
I plan to do some flying on Sunday. Maybe I could meet you then.
jrthomas

Post by jrthomas »

papayoung. I sent you a private message with my cell phone number on May 14 but I never heard back from you. Are you still interested in meeting up at KTTA?
Cbt jmp

Post by Cbt jmp »

Hello from Apex, Papayoung
I too am a private pilot turned Light Sport. Also rusty, but looking to change that.
I visited Wings of Carolina flying club yesterday, dropping in on their monthly cookout at KTTA. The club seems nice, and the airport looks great. That said, they have no LSAs to fly, so I have directed my interest to Raleigh Flying Club - they have a CTLS.
PM me, and lets chat.