Hello from the "First in Flight" state!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

EEProf

Hello from the "First in Flight" state!

Post by EEProf »

Hello all,

I just got my new to me '15 EKOLOT Topaz KR-030 from Florida to NC after about 6.5 hrs in the air, 8 hrs total with three stops.I probably could have done it with one stop, but I am still getting used to the fuel management on it and then there's the BC limit to contend with. It was gusty and a bit bumpy, and ULs, in particular 'powered gliders', are not known to handle rough air well. She did great and I really got a feel for the airplane.

I am coming off a ten year love affair with a Mooney M20E, which I sold last week. Just time to tuck the wings back a bit and they are getting a bit ragged now as I ease into retirement. I am also done with certified A/C and plan to convert my Topaz to E-LSA in a few months and then take the repairman course.

Fly safe,

Harm
---
2015 EKOLOT Topaz KR-030
JimParker256

Re: Hello from the "First in Flight" state!

Post by JimParker256 »

Welcome aboard, Harm.

I, too, recently retired, sold my "certified" plane, and purchased an E-LSA. In my case, it's a 2007 RANS S-6ES. My plane was built and licensed back in 2007, when LSA was first introduced. It was signed off as E-LSA during the brief window of time when the FAA would issue an E-LSA certificate to "fat ultralights" (aircraft that otherwise met the LSA specs, but had never been licensed before). It certainly could have been licensed as EAB, but for some reason the builders chose to pursue E-LSA. Worked out well for me, since I can get the LSR-I and do my own inspections! I'm scheduled for the LSR-I course with Rainbow Aviation in October.

Anyway, I hope you are having as much fun with your plane as I'm having with mine!
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Welcome to the Forum, Harm!
You've come to a great place to share and learn.
Fly on. :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

There is a guy here close by at DeKalb IL ( KDKB ) who is a dealer for these planes.
I believe he is from Poland ( and so is the manufacturer .)

I looked at the plane up close and it is a fine plane with high quality finish etc ... haven't had a chance to fly one yet but, but I have talked to a guy from Japan who lives here in Chicagoland and used to own one and he was very happy with it ( I believe he flew the plane all the way to Page AZ for the LSA fly in a few years back .) He had to get out of aviation and sold it off to a guy from Australia ( of all places .)

My understanding is that these planes are more popular in central EU ( Poland , Germany etc )
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois