Hi from CT

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

Hi from CT

Post by Atrosa »

Hello everyone. My name is Tony and I'm starting my journey in becoming a pilot. My goal is to get into a plane like a czech sport or something and putt around the northeast. I live in CT and have a vacation place in NH. My place in nh is close to twin mountain airport 8B2. I will be asking a bunch of newbie questions so please be patient with me.
joey4420

Re: Hi from CT

Post by joey4420 »

Welcome to the forum. I am sure someone here will be able to answer questions as they come up. Some very smart Pilots/CFI's/DPE here.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

One of your first tasks will be to find a flight school near your that #1 teaches Sport Pilot (assuming that is your present goal) and #2 Has Light Sport aircraft to teach in now and to later rent. #2 is often harder to accomplish than #1.

Welcome to this GREAT forum and best wishes on your journey.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Sounds like renting will not be a problem. He said he plans to purchase an LSA. If that is the case, I would take a few lessons to make sure this is something I really want to do, then make the purchase. Any CFI can teach a Sport Pilot, so finding a CFI should not be a problem if you own your own plane.
Retired from flying.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Great advise, thank you. I plan on purchasing a plane to accumulate hours. I figure that 6-9k i would spend on rental could go towards a plane. I have been taking online courses at fly8MA. Is that an acceptable means of attaining ground school instructions? I need to go up a couple of times to make sure it is for me though. I'm fairly certain i will not only enjoy it but will entice me to buy a plane even quicker.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

If you can find a flight school close by that has light sport aircraft (LSA), I would recommend you at least solo before making an aircraft purchase. Flying is not for everyone. However, by the time you solo, you should know if it's really something you want to pursue.

The dilemma that can happen is you can't find an LSA close by. One solution is to get a 3rd class FAA medical and train for a Private Pilot certificate. The other solution is to travel to a flight school that does have LSA. Or, you can just dive in and purchase your own LSA from the get-go.

If you can't find an LSA but don't want to risk an FAA 3rd class medical, you could start training in a Cessna or Piper up to the point you're ready to solo. At that point, you might be confident you want to proceed with the purchase of an LSA.
Retired from flying.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Dang, all these folks a buyin' aer-ee-oh planes. Good on ya' mates.

Why oh why wasn't I born rich instead of so good lookin'?

lol
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

chicagorandy wrote:Dang, all these folks a buyin' aer-ee-oh planes. Good on ya' mates.

Why oh why wasn't I born rich instead of so good lookin'?

lol
Sport Pilot and LSA is, for the most part, a rich old man's hobby. That's because there are not enough LSA around to rent. So, you almost have to purchase your own LSA. Younger people are more able to get an FAA medical without all the health issues we older people have or think we might have. There are always lots of non-LSA aircraft available to rent almost everywhere if you have a Private certificate and a medical or Basic Med.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote: Any CFI can teach a Sport Pilot, so finding a CFI should not be a problem if you own your own plane.
Any CFI can (legally) teach SP. That doesn't mean any CFI will, or even should. Not all CFIs know, or care about, the SP rules, limitations, and privileges. Not all CFIs understand light wing loading, low inertia, or high drag aircraft. Not all CFIs can even necessarily fit in an LSA without overgrossing it. And some just don't believe in the whole SP concept, and will refuse to train at that level. So finding a CFI should be easy, but often isn't.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Welcome Tony, you'll certainly enjoy the adventure.

I did exactly what you want to do, buy your own plane and train it it. I started my initial training in a Remos at a flight school just north of Orlando when I lived there. Very soon after I bought my very own (used) SportCruiser. You mentioned buying a Czech Sport. :mrgreen: I finished all my training and took my checkride in my own plane. Very satisfying for sure. A lot can be said for owning your own plane.

LSA's are a lot of fun and a joy to fly and at the same time easy to maintain. If you are into "gadgets" there's no shortage of that either. I love flying a modern airplane with it's many safety features and equipment that lessen my workload as a pilot. There are many, many great LSA's out there and I must say that you have great taste in airplanes, the SportCruiser is the best. (did I just swat a hornets nest?) :mrgreen:

Don't let the idea that "Sport Pilot and LSA is, for the most part, a rich old man's hobby" deter you, maybe you are old and rich, I dont know. I'm neither and I love sport pilot and LSA. I'm usually one of the younger people at my local aviation gatherings. I know several "younger" LSA owners and pilots. Rich? Not even close. I dig through the couch cushions before I head to the airport so I can buy just a little more fuel for the day. :mrgreen:

Whatever you decide to do I will say you won't be disappointed with a sport pilot rating and a wonderful LSA.

Blue skies Tony and enjoy your adventure.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Don't be afraid to try intro flights with different CFIs. Once you find that "one" that clicks, every flight is a joy - even the ones that don't go so well. Attitude is everything, so get out there and enjoy the ride! Good Luck!
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Any CFI can instruct you for a Sport Pilot certificate in your LSA. OBVIOUSLY, he needs to want to, be able to fit in the airplane, and know how to fly an LSA. Any CFI can read the Sport Pilot requirements and instruct you in those requirements. They are essentially the same as Private minus a little.

Also, rich is a relative term. If you can afford to purchase an airplane, rent or purchase a hanger, and maintain and operate your own airplane, you are rich compared to the average American. Many cannot afford food and medical care. Most are just trying to make it month to month and plan for some sort of reasonable retirement.

Many, but not all, younger people opt for a Private certificate because they can't afford their own airplane and can easily find a non-LSA to rent. OF COURSE, there are exceptions to this. A new LSA is certainly more affordable to purchase than a new non-LSA.

I was responding to ChicagoAndy.
Retired from flying.
amster105

Post by amster105 »

Hi Tony

I'm from CT as well. I used to rent from Danbury, but they no longer have an LSA for rent.

There is a Light Sport at Chester, CT, even though it doesn't say it on their website. I'm not sure how far that is from you but that could be one option.
Sport Pilot
ASEL ASES TW B/C/D
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

"I was responding to ChicagoAndy"

And I will take that as a response to ME as well.

lol
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

chicagorandy wrote:"I was responding to ChicagoAndy"

And I will take that as a response to ME as well.

lol
Is he your brother?
Retired from flying.