Hello form Shady Shores Tx

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

DarrinT

Hello form Shady Shores Tx

Post by DarrinT »

Hello
I'm Darrin from just south of Denton Tx, I'm a 53 year old Student Pilot working on my SP Certificate.
I have a question that maybe some one can point me to where I can find the the answer. If I bought a plane registered as an Experimental such as a Challenger or an Rans s12 that qualifies as a LSA or ELSA. Can I fly it under a SP Certificate or does it have to be registers as a LSA. I read that planes can be re-registered but I also see read that planes that were considered a FAT ultra light had a deadline that has well sense passed to register as an LSA. I would hate to buy something to only find out that I can't fly it with out a PP certificate.
TimTaylor

Re: Hello form Shady Shores Tx

Post by TimTaylor »

You can fly an ultralight without a pilot certificate. You need a Sport Pilot certificate or higher to fly an LSA. There was a drop-dead date by which the two-seat ultralights had to be registered as LSA. If they were not, they can't be flown by anyone. At least that's my understanding.

There are several types of LSA including SLSA and ESLA. Any of these require a Sport Pilot certificate or higher to fly and each has it's own set of restrictions. A Sport Pilot can fly any legal LSA as long as he has an endorsement for that type, such as fixed wing, gyro, glider, etc.

Just be careful that you don't buy a 2 seat ultralight that was never registered as an LSA. There may still be some that can be used at trainers, IDK.

You can the information on FAA, AOPA, and EAA sites.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

DarrinT wrote:Hello
I'm Darrin from just south of Denton Tx, I'm a 53 year old Student Pilot working on my SP Certificate.
I have a question that maybe some one can point me to where I can find the the answer. If I bought a plane registered as an Experimental such as a Challenger or an Rans s12 that qualifies as a LSA or ELSA. Can I fly it under a SP Certificate or does it have to be registers as a LSA. I read that planes can be re-registered but I also see read that planes that were considered a FAT ultra light had a deadline that has well sense passed to register as an LSA. I would hate to buy something to only find out that I can't fly it with out a PP certificate.
As a sport pilot you can fly any aircraft that meets CFR 1.1 definition of a Light Sport Aircraft, regardless of how it is registered. Just make sure it has a current registration and a airworthiness certificate.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Clarification, Tom. A Sport Pilot can fly any aircraft for which he or she holds category and class ratings, including any required endorsements, as long as it meets the FAR 1.1 definition if an LSA and is registered. FAR Part 103 "fat ultralights" generally meet the LSA definition, but unless they were registered as ELSAs during the grace period, can now never be flown by anybody in the US.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
DarrinT

Post by DarrinT »

drseti wrote:Clarification, Tom. A Sport Pilot can fly any aircraft for which he or she holds category and class ratings, including any required endorsements, as long as it meets the FAR 1.1 definition if an LSA and is registered. FAR Part 103 "fat ultralights" generally meet the LSA definition, but unless they were registered as ELSAs during the grace period, can now never be flown by anybody in the US.
Thanks so much, that was very helpful, the last thing I want do is make a mistake and buy scarp metal. Now to start digging deep into research to find out whats the best fit for me.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Clarification, Tom. A Sport Pilot can fly any aircraft for which he or she holds category and class ratings, including any required endorsements, as long as it meets the FAR 1.1 definition if an LSA and is registered. FAR Part 103 "fat ultralights" generally meet the LSA definition, but unless they were registered as ELSAs during the grace period, can now never be flown by anybody in the US.
I figured most already knew they could only fly what they are rated for.

Now since we are picking nits. FAR Part 103 fat ultralights do not meet the requirements of the 1.1 definition. The number one requirement of The CFR 1.1 definition is "Since their original certification", if it has never been certified by the FAA, then the rule doesn't apply.

Secondly if they were not registered during the grace period it only means they can't be certified as a ELSA. There are other certification paths to allow flight. Experimental R&D or Exhibition are two. Another that is often overlooked is EAB, but that would only apply to the original builder if it meets the 51% rule and they have a build log.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Interesting details, Tom. Thanks for posting.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US