Hello from Irvine, California

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

RV-12builder

Re: Hello from Irvine, California

Post by RV-12builder »

chumash wrote:Congrats on the RV12. I hope to be getting a plane (w/in the next year) after I get my SP training. I am looking at the Sling2 and the RV12 as well as the Aerotrek. Just out of curiosity, what was the deciding factor to go with the RV12?
At the risk of sounding like an infomercial for Van’s, I felt the RV-12 has the best combination of features that I was looking for. It is quite a bit lighter than some of the other low-wing metal planes that are available as kits, so it has a higher useful load without exceeding 1320 pounds, the maximum LSA gross weight. It cruises within a knot or two of the maximum LSA speed limit and has a good rate of climb.

With the new iS fuselage, the RV-12 can hold up to 75 pounds of baggage. The cockpit is pretty spacious, and I like how the new fuselage has the throttle mounted on the center console. Visibility is outstanding because you sit farther forward in the RV-12 than most other low-wing LSAs, and it has a large, bubble canopy.

I live in an area where hangar space is in high demand and very expensive. I think the removable wing feature might make it easier to find space in a hangar that I can share with someone else.

This is my second homebuilt aircraft project, and I’m very impressed with the kit. I also like that the RV-12 can be licensed as an ELSA. Most kit aircraft have to be licensed as Experimental/Amateur-Built.

Mark
chumash

Re: Hello from Irvine, California

Post by chumash »

Those are some good reasons, especially the weight. Staying at the 1320 lb max is difficult with any useful load. That's one of the reasons I am seriously looking at the RV12. Also, there are lots of help and info available on the build process. Enjoy the build.