Hello from Celebration, FL

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

cam737

Hello from Celebration, FL

Post by cam737 »

Hello from Celebration, FL, near Orlando. I am almost empty nester...one still on the payroll but he is about to take his CFI checkride . I am looking seriously at NEW LSA for empty-nester fun. My wife and I were on vacation in California last August (2017) and test flew the Sling 2 with Jean. LOVED IT! More importantly...wife LOVED IT! I was impressed with the handling, performance, visibility, slider canopy, looks, and economical operation of the Sling. I flew a 912iS and a plain 912 equipped Sling 2. I have been lurking here for some time and skimmed many of the posts on gross wt, useful load, parachute, VFR vs IFR, etc...
Today, I am leaning Sling 2, S-LSA, VFR with Garmin G3X touch, parachute for peace-of-mind (wife), plain 912, and dealing with the weight limits by limiting fuel if flying with pax heavier than my petite wife. I have not ruled out E-AB 51% to gain legal extra useful-load upping GW to 1540, but, I really don't want to build anything (or get my nails dirty) :) ...I just want it to work great and last a long time!
Thanks for all the good info on this forum,
Cam

Background: Current 737 pilot, previous C-152/172 in 1980's, USAF single-seat fun airplane.
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
Sling 2 Pilot

Re: Hello from Celebration, FL

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Hi again cam737, check my answer to you in the other post and WELCOME!
drseti

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard, Cam. I'm in Central FL every January except this one (long story...) and am sure out paths will cross some day.

When I was in USAF (50 yrs ago) single engine was code for fighters. Which ones did you fly? They're all fun, unless someone's shooting at you.

I personally favor the 912 ULS over the iS for LSAs. Lighter, cheaper, more maintenance-friendly. The difference in cost is not really covered by the fuel savings.

Never flew the Sling, but it looks really nice (and should serve you well). E-AB is an attractive option if you never plan to use it for compensated flight instruction. The gross wt and self-maintenance are obvious advantages, plus if you meet the 51% rule you could get the repairman's certificate and do your own condition inspections. I find ELSA even more attractive, because partners, co-builders, and subsequent owners can also get the LSRI and inspect it.

Keep us posted as your adventure unfolds.

Safe Skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Thanks Paul! I appreciate the warm welcome. (I think you meant to say "single-seat" not "single engine") I flew F-15C's at Bitburg AB Germany (1987-1989), Eglin AFB (1989-1994), and Kadena AB (1994-1997). Then flew AT-38's at Randolph AFB (1997-2001). I've been flying 737's for Southwest since 1999. The F-15C and the air-to-air mission was great. I was very lucky to fly it and I know it!! BTW, the F-15 was easy to fly...auto-trim, good thrust-to-weight :), great visibility, easier to land than a Cessna 172 ,etc... The real challenge was the air-to-mission...too much fun! Even the 9G turns.
Fast forward to this past August and the Sling just felt like, well, a little fighter...superb handling, great visibility, AND better fuel economy (the F-15C burned 333 gallons per MINUTE at sea level in full afterburner).
So, here's a question for you (and the corporate knowledge base here): I would guess the Sling would do a nice aileron roll. If I build it 51% EAB...can I, as the "builder", authorize the Sling to be capable of, say, 1G barrel rolls or aileron rolls? I don't care about intense aerobatics or G's...but it would be nice to just go upside-down "legally" now and then.
Jean at the The Airplane Factory explained that the aircraft is capable of some limited acro, but the legal liability is not worth it to the company to state the capability.
Thoughts?
Cam
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
drseti

Post by drseti »

I'd be disinclined to do even mild acro on any aircraft that didn't have at least an egress means. If you can build in a canopy release and 5-point quick-release harness, and wear a chute, and be willing to sacrifice the plane if things go south, then maybe...

Actually, the place to post that question might be the Van's Air Force forums. Different animal, but similar situation - many an E-AB RV has been used for aerobatics. Just remember that ASTM standards (to which I believe the Sling is built) are only +4/-2 G.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Welcome to the forum, Cam! Glad to have you here. Will you be flying out of Kissimmee?

I live in Haines City, work in Orlando, so I go past Celebration twice a day. (Lately the traffic is making that passage a crawl.) I'm flying a rented Tecnam Echo from First Landings in Apopka.

Are you headed to the Sport Expo in Sebring this week?
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

For aerobatics the airplane itself is not the only limiting factor. You also need to consider the engine. The Rotax 912 is not approved for aerobatics. The Rotax engine is very sensitive to oil starvation. As long as you maintain positive G loading, and everything goes as planned you should be OK. Fall out of something and momentarily disrupt the oil supply and you can have problems. You might not have an immediate seizure, but can get air into the system causing a failure a little ways down the road.

If you want to do some basic acro along the way I would be looking at something with Lycoming power and flying under BasicMed.
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Yes Paul, I agree with you. The Sling does have the airframe parachute option which I like (and wife likes). I do like the RV’s. I think there is a BRS system available for the RV-7.

Hey 1/2, yes…KISM is closest for me. My son did all of his initial flying at First Landings in Remos and Cessna 150. Adam and I flew the mighty J3 Cub a few years back. XO4 is just too far for me to drive. What is your drive time to Apopka? Any options to rent LSA at KISM? I am hoping to go to the Expo on Saturday with my family. I always hit Sun N Fun, but, I have never been to the Sebring Expo. Sorry about the I-4 traffic (civil engineering at its finest). We avoid I-4 like the plague.

Hi 3D, thanks for the Rotax tips. 1-G would be all that I need. No desire for outside loops! The mission is fun. Love low and slow. I do want some cross country capability. Bahamas?

Thanks all.
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

It's about a 1 hour drive out to Apopka for me. Winter Haven (KGIF) is closest to me, and I've been kidding the guys out at First Landings that they really need to put a rental plane there for me. KISM is probably at least 45 minutes, and I don't know of an LSA rental there.

Where's your son flying now? I just got mine out of the house a few weeks ago. He started a new gig doing IT work for Apex Systems, and they're sending him to different military bases to do upgrades. He's in Albany, GA at the moment.

If you're at Sebring on Sat, give me a ring and maybe we can connect. I'll PM you my cell. I have a reservation for a ride in the Ford Trimotor with my wife, so we'll be down there for sure.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

cam737 wrote:Yes Paul, I agree with you. The Sling does have the airframe parachute option which I like (and wife likes). I do like the RV’s. I think there is a BRS system available for the RV-7.

Hey 1/2, yes…KISM is closest for me. My son did all of his initial flying at First Landings in Remos and Cessna 150. Adam and I flew the mighty J3 Cub a few years back. XO4 is just too far for me to drive. What is your drive time to Apopka? Any options to rent LSA at KISM? I am hoping to go to the Expo on Saturday with my family. I always hit Sun N Fun, but, I have never been to the Sebring Expo. Sorry about the I-4 traffic (civil engineering at its finest). We avoid I-4 like the plague.

Hi 3D, thanks for the Rotax tips. 1-G would be all that I need. No desire for outside loops! The mission is fun. Love low and slow. I do want some cross country capability. Bahamas?

Thanks all.
Bahamas! Yes! I’m in, get the Sling and I’ll be your wingman. I miss out one year during a Grumman annual fly in to St Augustine, I had a Mag go bad. We were AOG waiting for the replacement. Had to scrub the trip. Replaced mag flew back to NY.

By The Way, did you get the 2nd email I sent you?
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Wow. Great Forum!

OK, 1/2...see PM. My kid is at L3 Airline Academy at Sanford FL...formally Aerosim, Comair Academy, Delta Academy, etc... great program for someone who needs a structured program...ie..."here is what you are doing today, here is what you are doing tomorrow". If I gave my kid an airplane and said get all of your ratings, he would never get it done. He is a smart kid, but, he has his dad's lazy bone..."why do today what can be put off until next week?". :)

Sling 2, NO email!!! Please PM your email address. We need to talk. There is nothing better than SAFE formation flying...except maybe SAFE formation flying to the Bahamas! Let's go.

Cam
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Um...my wife is not into the seaplane thang, but, I like the videos of seaplane thangs... like YOUTUBE" Seaplane Flying Adventures in The Bahamas "

Seaplane Flying Adventure In The Bahamas

Hmmmmmmm..... However, I can do this in a Sling 2...if I do not land in water...

Cam
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I had a group of friends fly their Thorp T-18's to the Bahamas last spring. Their pictures and stories were amazing. I know that for a few years right after the Sebring Expo there was a group of light sport aircraft that would make the trip.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Welcome! I've got a sister-in-law in Orlando and another in Rockledge so I've been in that neck of the woods many times. Great area! I was reading about the Sling 2 and the Sling 4, both look like excellent planes.
Ed
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Thanks foresterpoole.
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa