Greetings from Australia

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

jfleming

Greetings from Australia

Post by jfleming »

Hi All,

Just joined from Australia.

I am the owner of an Evektor Sportstar, and looking for other Sportstar owners to share info etc.

Cheers all
John
Scooper

Re: Greetings from Australia

Post by Scooper »

Welcome aboard, John, and Happy New Year! One of my mates here in San Francisco is from Melbourne.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Welcome.

Evektors seem quite popular around here ... there are at least 3 within about 50 miles radius where I reside but on this forum , DrSeti will probably be the source for any Evektor related questions since he :

- runs a flight school utilizing Evektor planes
- has all necessary training and ratings to do his own maintenance on these Evektors ( and LSAs/Rotax in general)
- has tons of GA/LSA related experience
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
akroguy

Post by akroguy »

Welcome, John.

I recently purchased a 2006 Sportstar SE and live in New Mexico. Really a fun airplane! So far, no issues encountered and I am continually pleased with the engineering that went into it and the flying qualities.
2006 Evektor Sportstar SE
E98 Los Lunas, NM
jfleming

Post by jfleming »

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies! :)

I might start a thread just for us Sportstar fans! I really do love my Sporty!! Great plane to fly and quite comfy!

I learnt to fly in one, so when it came time to buy, it was pretty much a no brainer for me.

Here she is - When she was a bit cleaner. LOL!
sporty-small.jpg
sporty-small.jpg (114.93 KiB) Viewed 22287 times
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nice to have you with us, John. Where in Oz are you, and where do you base your plane? I tried to rent a Cherokee just outside of Sidney about 20 summers ago, but got hammered by PM t-storms before I even got airborne!

I'm on my second SportStar now. First was a 2006 Plus; I upgraded it to a Max and ran it to 1800 hours before selling it to one of my graduates. Replaced it with a 2010 Max which is now approaching 800 hours and going strong. They're great airplanes, and make fine, stable trainers.

By all means, feel free to start a SportStar thread under the Light Sport Aircraft topic, and post whatever questions you have.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jfleming

Post by jfleming »

G'day drseti,

I am in a place called Yass, which is in NSW. I am about 3 hours drive S/SW from Sydney - Pretty close to Canberra. My bird right now is on the coast, but I am bringing her to an airport not too far up the road tomorrow. So will make flying much easier as currently it's a 3 hour drive to get to her.

Mine is also the Max, with an inflight adjustable prop - which I am still learning to get the best out of.

I really do love this plane, and like you will fly her for a while, and then upgrade. I do like the newer ones with Glass etc. Very sexy!

I have created the thread, so hopefully we get a few Sporties in there :)

Cheers
John
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

drseti wrote: I'm on my second SportStar now. First was a 2006 Plus; I upgraded it to a Max and ran it to 1800 hours before selling it to one of my graduates. Replaced it with a 2010 Max which is now approaching 800 hours and going strong. They're great airplanes, and make fine, stable trainers.
After a fairly long hiatus from flying, I got back into the game 10+ years ago by getting current in a SportStar. I too found the plane a very stable trainer, roomy with well-balanced controls. My 5 or so hours sold me on going the Light Sport route although I ended up purchasing a Sting S3 instead. The only minor 'con' with the SportStar was (what I believe) is the relatively narrow distance between the mains which makes it feel a little unstable on the ground in gusty conditions. This, plus the lower clearance of the wing, may also be the driver behind lower demonstrated crosswind spec of 10 kts.
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

dstclair wrote: This, plus the lower clearance of the wing, may also be the driver behind lower demonstrated crosswind spec of 10 kts.
Actually, that's changed. The original AOI listed demonstrated crosswind component as "Inexperienced pilots, 10 kts. Experienced pilots, 15 kts." A few years ago, they published a Service Bulletin modifying that. They eliminated the dual numbers (probably because there was no FAR defining experienced vs. inexperienced). They also raised the number to 18 kts, due to more experience with the design I real-world conditions. Of course, any pilot is free to self-evaluate and set more conservative personal minimums.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Good to know. thanks.
dave