New Guy

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

BenThereToo

New Guy

Post by BenThereToo »

Hello everybody, thought I would add a new topic

My name is Steven,
I became a private pilot back in the 80s when dual was $45 an hour and aircraft were $35 wet. I flew Cessna 152, 172 and Beech Skippers for several years.
I then went to school and received my A&P and went to work at a local FBO, working on about every biz jet you can think of. started a family and then got high blood pressure (figures) and then had my medical denied. I was happy working on jets and got my fill of aviation for many year doing that.
The kids are now grown, and I would like to say "out of the house" but kids these days dont want to leave the nest. I have recently been bitten by the bug to fly again, but still have high BP (controlled) and diabetes (controlled) now. Because of the medical requirement hassles, thought I would go the LSA direction.
I know I have the medical denial hanging over my head, so I have contacted the FAA for help, and I have some friend with the FAA assisting me too. Hopefully once I have the medical issue taken care of I'm thinking about a Quicksilver, some sort of two-seater. Low and Slow is fine with me. My folks have land begging to have a little strip cut out of it. So I am hoping for the FAA to come through for me.
Best Regards
Sreven
joey4420

Re: New Guy

Post by joey4420 »

Welcome to the forum, I hope things work out with the FAA. A possible denial is one of the reasons I started Sport vice going for my private. Am I safe, yes, I preflight myself every time I plan to fly. (Migraines).
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Welcome back into the fold!

Over on the Pilots of America forum is a Dr. Bruce Chien. He has a reputation for being able to guide people with “issues” through the medical certification process. I have no personal experience with him, but he seems to know what he’s doing.

Sounds like you may have it covered, but thought I’d throw it out there as an option.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

BenThereToo wrote: So I am hoping for the FAA to come through for me.

That's somewhat akin to speaking softly to a rattlesnake and hoping it doesn't bite you. I concur with the suggestion to contact Dr. Bruce before you go any further. Without knowledgeable help, you could easily dig yourself into a very deep hole.

And welcome to the forum!
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

The hole is already dug with the previous denial. He needs to see if he can qualify for a special issue 3rd class.
Retired from flying.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

TimTaylor wrote:The hole is already dug with the previous denial. He needs to see if he can qualify for a special issue 3rd class.

Agreed, and without some specialized help (like Dr. Bruce), he could easily dig it deeper then fill it on top of himself.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Part 103 ultralights are an interesting alternative, as no license required. But, as already implied, this is 2017 and medicine has come a long way in just a few years. You may find that a 3rd class medical, with or without restrictions, is a real possibility. I also agree that the FAA likely won't be much (if any) help here, but this Dr Bruce Chien is a well-known solid resource (knows his stuff, they say).
BenThereToo

Post by BenThereToo »

Thanks for the advice. I was surprised to see so many thoughts in such a short time. I thought I was going to have more comments about the Quicksilver.
But I don't believe that I have dug any hole with the FAA, quite the opposite in fact. They have been more than helpful. So far. I work for a part 135 charter operation and have been working with the FAA for many year, and there are many steps working with them, NO doubt. So I am kind of use to the paperwork process. It sounds that I will most likely implement FAR part 67.401-Special inssuance of medical certificate. we will see. I have hope.
Best Regards
Steven