Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

Last edited by bornstephen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wm.Ince

Re: Greetings!

Post by Wm.Ince »

bornstephen wrote:My name is Stephen from Illinois. I am currently studying the Gleim Sport Pilot course materials. Upon completion of my written exam, I will begin my flight training in Chicago. I must say one can only truly appreciate a pilot when one understands the whole certification process.
That said, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am extremely excited to learn from each and everyone of you.
Welcome aboard Stephen! :D
Good luck on the written.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nice to meet you, Stephen.
I use the Gleim material in my flight school. It's admittedly a bit dry, but very thorough. Only difference between your approach and my curriculum is that I integrate the ground and flight training, so my students don't tackle the written until after they solo.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

Last edited by bornstephen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Are you training at Aurora with Simply Fly ?
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

Last edited by bornstephen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

bornstephen wrote:I have signed up with Sport Pilot Chicago. Like I said, I am only studying books right now for the exam. I have not taken any flight lessons yet.
Oh that's the guys in Morris (and Aurora) flying Evektor SportStars.
Before I settled on my Sting I went up with one of their instructors for an hour demo flight in their Evektor - fun plane, a lot more fun than Remos ( which is what Simply Fly uses ) but that's I guess personal choice - highwing vs lowwing.

Anyway, have fun.
bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

rsteele

Post by rsteele »

bornstephen wrote:My CFI also encouraged that I combine both ground and flight together. What I am doing right now is reading the Pilot handbook cover to cover. I am studying the Test Prep with answers. I feel more comfortable passing the knowledge exam before I take actual flight lessons. Let me explain why: First, I feel I will be better prepared before going into the cockpit. Second, I do not want to invest time in the cockpit if I cannot even pass the knowledge exam. Third, I am a mortician and I am on call 24/7, so there will not be enough time to combine both ground and flight.

I do see the benefit of combined studies, especially when your CFI can answer and expound on your exam questions while flying.
As someone who did it more or less the way you are, I agree with your CFI. There are a ton of reasons for this that I won't get into because everyone's situation is different. All that book stuff will make more sense, and more importantly, stick in your brain better with some practical experience to go with it.

Regardless, welcome and good look with your training.

Ron
bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

Warmi

Post by Warmi »

bornstephen wrote:Yes exactly right. They have two Evektor's. Are you in the Chicago area?
Yes, I am located around Frankfort, IL.
I started my training at Aurora ( KARR) with Simply Fly , got soloed there but then had a 2 month break ( changing jobs etc ) - a month ago I bought my own plane ( Sting S4 ) and now I am finishing my training in that very plane with a local instructor I hired , flying out of my home airport ( Bult Field - C56)
bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

Last edited by bornstephen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

bornstephen wrote: I thought it would be overwhelming to combine both at the same time.
Flying can be overwhelming no matter how you cut it! A properly designed curriculum breakes it down into digestible bites. You should focus on each individual lesson, and trust that your instructor will make it all come together for you in the end.

My reason for integrating flight and ground instruction is that there are ground elements that introduce each flight skill. And flight maneuvers that reinforce and inform each knowledge element.

In my experience, the ideal lesson duration is 3 hours, and includes (on average) an hour of individualized ground instruction (tutorial), 1.3 hours of Hobbs time, and 3/4 hour of debrief. The sweet spot is two lessons a week (more than this and you burn out; less and your skills atrophy). But admittedly, this only works if the student does the assigned homework (reading assignments, worksheets, and specific online videos) before each lesson.

Of course, YMMV! ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:. . . "the ideal lesson duration is 3 hours, and includes (on average) an hour of individualized ground instruction (tutorial), 1.3 hours of Hobbs time, and 3/4 hour of debrief. The sweet spot is two lessons a week (more than this and you burn out; less and your skills atrophy). But admittedly, this only works if the student does the assigned homework (reading assignments, worksheets, and specific online videos) before each lesson." . . .
That sounds like a really good program.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

Last edited by bornstephen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.