Training in Tucson

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

JAM_MAN

Training in Tucson

Post by JAM_MAN »

Just starting Sport Pilot training at AZ Ultralight Aviation, will be learning in an Aerotrek 240 off a dirt strip in Marana, AZ (4AZ8). Learning a lot from this forum, appreciate the knowledge. Particular thanks to Roger Lee who helped me identify someone to train with (no endorsement on his part implied). I'm hoping learning in a sensitive aircraft off dirt is helpful, at least for some flying.
ct4me

Re: Training in Tucson

Post by ct4me »

Welcome Jam_Man!
Aerotrek is a nice looking plane with a good reputation. I didn't realize they occupy #9 position of the LSA fleet market share, until I read the recent Dan Johnson article. 'Look forward to bumping into you at Marana or Ryan.
Tim
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
JAM_MAN

Post by JAM_MAN »

Thanks Tim.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard! Though I've never flown the A240, I have a bit of time in its tailwheel sibling, the A220. They're great airplanes. Enjoy!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:Welcome aboard! Though I've never flown the A240, I have a bit of time in its tailwheel sibling, the A220. They're great airplanes. Enjoy!
Paul,
Please tell us what you liked about the Aerotrek A220?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

Very responsive, light on the controls, and easy to operate from unimproved fields (with the optional bush tyres). Plus, an excellent price (around 70k) for a new aircraft, and very good support from Rob, the US importer.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:Very responsive, light on the controls, and easy to operate from unimproved fields (with the optional bush tyres). Plus, an excellent price (around 70k) for a new aircraft, and very good support from Rob, the US importer.
Thank you.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
JAM_MAN

Post by JAM_MAN »

I learned the light on the controls and responsive part very quickly!! How would you say the 220/240 compares with other LSA aircraft in these attributes?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Pretty typical for the tube-and-fabric LSAs. I seem to recall that the max gross for the AeroTrek is less than the LSA limit of 1320, so it will have lower inertia than its heavier cousins. It handles very much like the KitFox (which is not surprising, since both were derived from the old Avid Flyer homebuilt design, circa 1980).
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

There will be some Rotax classes coming up this fall in Tucson. I'll post them sometime after Oshkosh.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Congrats Jam_Man

I did my training there as well, but had to suffer a long pause when finances took a big hit. Hope to someday resume.
JAM_MAN

Post by JAM_MAN »

I hope you can...the Aerotrek is fun to fly, and Pinal great for landing practice.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Good to have you here!