Seeking LSA rental or partnership - Knoxville, TN

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

TnLonghorn

Seeking LSA rental or partnership - Knoxville, TN

Post by TnLonghorn »

Hi, I am a private pilot who can no longer obtain a medical. I am interested in flying an LSA. To my knowledge there are none at any of the flying clubs in the immediate area of Knoxville, TN. If anyone knows of a club (or individual) that has an LSA or would be interested in partnering on one in this area, please contact me. Thanks.
hirschr

Re: Seeking LSA rental or partnership - Knoxville, TN

Post by hirschr »

You might check these guys: http://oakridgeflyers.com/planes they have a champ that might meet the LSA definition.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TnLonghorn wrote:Hi, I am a private pilot who can no longer obtain a medical. I am interested in flying an LSA.
Good luck with your search. Just remember that to fly under sport pilot privileges in a airplane the last medical you applied for had, to be issued and expire under favorable circumstances. Also if you have held a medical that expired under favorable circumstance in July 2006 or after, and you have not had one of the three medical conditions that require a special issuance. You can still fly as a private pilot under BasicMed.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Don't know of any flying clubs in your area with Light Sports, but as 3Dreaming said, depending on your situation BasicMed might be an option.

I live not far away in N GA, and I'm back and forth to our airstrip in Lenoir City all the time.

Let me know at [email protected] if you want to get together and discuss options.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TnLonghorn

Post by TnLonghorn »

hirschr wrote:You might check these guys: http://oakridgeflyers.com/planes they have a champ that might meet the LSA definition.
Hello, It has taken me a long time to respond. Life has gotten in the way. I appreciate hearing back on my post. It turns out I did try to join the oakridgeflyers but did not like and get along with the guy who runs it and is the cfi that you must use. Too bad for me. I am hoping that the FAA will move to include legacy aircraft such as the Cessna 150 under the rule since there are so many of them around for rental. Safe flying, George
TnLonghorn

Post by TnLonghorn »

3Dreaming wrote:
TnLonghorn wrote:Hi, I am a private pilot who can no longer obtain a medical. I am interested in flying an LSA.
Good luck with your search. Just remember that to fly under sport pilot privileges in a airplane the last medical you applied for had, to be issued and expire under favorable circumstances. Also if you have held a medical that expired under favorable circumstance in July 2006 or after, and you have not had one of the three medical conditions that require a special issuance. You can still fly as a private pilot under BasicMed.
Thanks 3Dreaming. I did not have a medical in force after July 2006 but never lost one either. I am in good health but have experienced a heart attack. I am hopeful that the FAA will include legacy aircraft un the LSA rules sometime soon. Best, George
TnLonghorn

Post by TnLonghorn »

FastEddieB wrote:Don't know of any flying clubs in your area with Light Sports, but as 3Dreaming said, depending on your situation BasicMed might be an option.

I live not far away in N GA, and I'm back and forth to our airstrip in Lenoir City all the time.

Let me know at [email protected] if you want to get together and discuss options.
Thanks FastEddieB, I don't qualify for a Basic Med. As I indicated to the other pilots, I am hoping the FAA expands the aircraft that can be included under the LSA rules. Best, George
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

We now primarily base out of our new place in Lenoir City, which is where the Sky Arrow lives.

Again, let me know if you want to touch base to discuss options, and maybe fly. Another fellow on the field just bought a Remos Light Sport, even though he got his private last fall. He progressed from a powered parachute to a Titan Tornado (still for sake, I think), to his Remos, which he has plans to take Experimental. He might be able to offer some insights as well.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

"I am hoping the FAA expands the aircraft that can be included under the LSA rules. Best, George"

As I understand General Aviation -FAA important rule changes, and a weight increase (plus doubtless stall speed increases) for the LSA category would be a MAJOR one, I am not optimistic such a change is likely any time soon. Were it to take another 5-10 years I wouldn't be surprised.

Best of luck in your continued search for an LSA rental or affordable used plane purchase. Here in Chicagoland there are likewise few LSA planes or instructors so I have empathy for your situation.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Quick mod request: how about a longer window within which one can edit a post? A day would be nice.

Of course, I meant his Titan Tornado might still be for sale, not sake.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

FastEddieB wrote:Quick mod request: how about a longer window within which one can edit a post? A day would be nice.

Of course, I meant his Titan Tornado might still be for sale, not sake.
Oh. I thought maybe he had a thing for rice wine. :P
TnLonghorn

Post by TnLonghorn »

FastEddieB wrote:We now primarily base out of our new place in Lenoir City, which is where the Sky Arrow lives.

Again, let me know if you want to touch base to discuss options, and maybe fly. Another fellow on the field just bought a Remos Light Sport, even though he got his private last fall. He progressed from a powered parachute to a Titan Tornado (still for sake, I think), to his Remos, which he has plans to take Experimental. He might be able to offer some insights as well.
Thanks for getting back with me. Happy to connect with you when you are available. A lot of travel scheduled until June 9. Email me at [email protected]. Safe flying.