Hello from WV

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

MarkP

Hello from WV

Post by MarkP »

Hi... I'm Mark Parsons, and I've had my PPL since 1993. I had to sell my Cherokee in 2000 during a divorce (yes I miss her.... great Cherokee). Now, after 17 years, it's time to get back to the sky. I have some health issues that prevent me from getting my 3rd class medical, and I'm not getting any younger. Luckily, I was able to talk to a senior AME yesterday and he told me of my probable denial, soooo........... It's Light Sport for me. I'm shopping around now, but I'm not finding any for sale anywhere close to where I live. Not sure what I'll be flying, but I'm searching daily. I'd prefer all metal and a good cruise speed. Best of all, my current wife is very supportive. I look forward to talking to fellow pilots and learning the ropes of Light Sport! Thanks for having me!!
hirschr

Re: Hello from WV

Post by hirschr »

Welcome to the board Mark! As a former Cherokee owner you may feel comfortable in an vintage Sport Pilot eligible Ercoupe.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Thanks!! I had thought about an Ercoupe, but I'm not seeing any around for sale, especially in my area. Actually, I'm not seeing any Light Sports in my area. I'm starting to visit some of the airports that I used to fly to and asking about aircraft that might be for sale.

I'm realizing now, that most of the pilots I flew with are dead now. I'm 55 and have been out of it for many years, and I'm not getting any younger, so now is the time! I'll be having lots of questions I'm sure, as electronics have really advanced since I flew last. It seems that iPads and apps are the way to go now. I tried to order a new Flight Guide....lol I have some catching up to do, and I can't wait!!!

Mark
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Welcome to the forum Mark, Depending on if you are looking for new or used LSA's are not hard to find, just not I am sure in WV. I lived there for a few years myself, nothing is about mileage it is about time to get there.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Thanks Joey, I'm looking for a used LSA, preferably metal instead of fabric although I will be flying "something" soon. Conventional or tail wheel doesn't matter. Fuel mileage isn't an issue with most LSA, and I'd prefer not to be in a Champ flying along at 65 mph, not that I have anything against a Champ. They have their place in aviation. I've been browsing the internet for something along the lines of an Ercoupe, or maybe a Zenith 601. Hoping to find something within 6 hours drive time from home. I was dead set on another Cherokee, and I'm glad I didn't buy one, considering I can't pass a class 3. A consult with an AME saved me from a denial.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Take a look at http://www.barnstormers.com under the Light-Sport heading.
Retired from flying.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Thank Tim.... I had just brought it up on screen when I got your message. There are a few Ercoupes on the site and some good prices too. Closest is 6 hours drive time........ not too bad. I'll be calling about a couple of them tomorrow.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Take a look at the Sonex also.
Retired from flying.
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Not sure if you are planning to fly alone or with someone. Just remember the Ercoupes have a fairly low useful load.

Also make sure you have a very thorough pre-buy done to make sure it hasn't been raised to 1400lbs.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Thanks Joey... I've never flown one, but I've been around them for a while and have friends that are quite knowledgeable on them. I know not all Ercoupes qualify as LSA. I'm taking my time looking, but I'd really like to have one today!! lol I'll be flying with my wife... total passenger weight will be around 350. Useful load on a 415C is 511# The 415G has a max gross of 1400. The Zenith 601 has an extra 100#+ of useful load, depending on engine.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Max gross weight of 1400 does not qualify as LSA.
Retired from flying.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Welcome to the forum! Have you considered a Luscombe (since tailwheel is not an issue)? I have seen a few around for sale, some are LSA compliant, some are not. Just like used cars some I have seen (in person) are very nice some are simply homes for field rats and would take 1000's to get airworthy. Just a thought, I'm sure the guys on here will give you plenty of good feedback.
Ed
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Mark -

Welcome! What part of WV are you in? I'm in the Eastern Panhandle (I like the confused look I get when I say I live in "North-East West Virginia"). If you're anywhere near this area, Martinsburg has a CTSW in their rental fleet. Haven't had time to schedule a BFR and Checkout in it, but I'm told it's pretty much idle, so scheduling would be a snap.
Last edited by Merlinspop on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Bruce
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Hi Bruce, I'm near Ripley. I normally fly out of I18, Ravenswood WV. I don't get your way often, but might be as I look for a Light Sport to buy. I had a checkride/tail wheel endorsement scheduled for tonight, but the CFI called and has issues with the Aronca Chief. Have to come up with a new plan now . I'm use to a Cherokee, but it's gonna be Light Sport from here on out.
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Mark,

Here is a nice looking LSA in WV sadly up in the pan handle and not really close per say, but already registered in WV. So at least no privilege tax (unless that is only with auto's.

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_ ... tning.html
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE