Hello from WV

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

MarkP

Re: Hello from WV

Post by MarkP »

I appreciate the information. I know where Hedgesville is. I'm going to TN tomorrow to look at an Ercoupe. If it doesn't pan out, I'll make a call on this one.

Thanks!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Where in TN?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

MarkP wrote: Useful load on a 415C is 511#
That's what some Coupe sellers claim, Mark, but it just ain't so. An original (unmodified) 415C weighs in at over 800# with fabric wings, and 850 if they've been metallized. Max gross is 1260, so your useful load is down around 410 to 450. With 2 people, that doesn't allow for much fuel. That's why most owners modified with the 1400 pound STC (which means they will never be LSAs, no matter what Trade-A-Plane ads say). Univair offers a 1320 pound STC, but it requires some tail mods.

Search this site for Ercoupe threads - there has been lots of discussion. Or, check the Ercoupe Owners Club (ercoupe.org).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Just outside of Knoxville... If it's as good as it sounds and looks in the pics, I'll buy. I'll check it out myself and do some flying. I'm hopeful. I bought my last one near there.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

According to the owner: this one has an STC for metalized wings which brings the empty weight recalculated to 789#. It also has an STC for a gross weight increase to 1320#. That's a useful load of 531#. It had to be weighed and calculated for the STCs. It also has a C-85. At a useful load of 531# and 24 gallons of fuel @6 pounds per gallon, that leaves 387# for pilot and passenger. With the weight of myself and my wife, that leaves enough for more luggage than an Ercoupe has space. I'll verify all the paperwork when I get there tomorrow. He has all 337s and the A&P that did the work is local. We'll have to wait and see.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

The actual wording of the STC for gross increase to 1320#:

STC SA02450CH will increase the allowable gross weight of Univair (ERCO) 415-C and -CD
aircraft from their present 1260 pounds to a 1320 pound maximum weight.

This 60-pound increase in gross weight will provide the operator with a greater margin
of safety through the ability of the average aircraft to carry a full fuel load (24 gallons)
and two 170-pound occupants.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Mark,

PM sent.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Mark, I've never seen a metal-wing 415C actually weigh in that light. Maybe that's what it calculates to, but I wouldn't believe it until I've seen it on calibrated scales. The factory empty weight claims from ERCO were all way low.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I understand. I do alot of custom work on cars. Typically, engines are rated much less than actual horsepower, but weights are usually accurate. I know a few coupe owners and I'll try to get input from them. One friend has built more planes than he's bought. He would give a very accurate assessment. I appreciate your input!!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I probably have access to some race car scales owned by an EAA member if that helps.

About 100 miles south of Knoxville - Copperhill, TN, less as the crow flies - if they would help.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I appreciate the offer. I'll be spending alot of time in logs tomorrow. I have a list of al STCs. Most recent being 2012. Only 4 since 1967. Knowing the actual weight won't make much difference really. It is what it is. I'm always kinda conservative when it comes to safety. Thanks!!!
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Good luck with it! I can tell you from my own experience the log book weight and the actual weight can be considerably different. Any chance the coupe your looking at is this one? Just curious.
Attachments
Ercoupe at skyranch N2415H small.jpg
Ercoupe at skyranch N2415H small.jpg (131.48 KiB) Viewed 13807 times
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

PM Sent
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I appreciate all the input from the group. I am now the owner of a 1946 Ercoupe 415 CD. It qualifies as Light Sport. I found it on Barnstormers.com, and made a trip to TN and bought it. Delivery was in on the deal, so I'm waiting for it to land at I18 in WV. Yea.... you might say I'm a bit excited!!!!

Mark
013.jpg
013.jpg (43.97 KiB) Viewed 13722 times
drseti

Post by drseti »

It's a beautiful aircraft, Mark. Enjoy, and fly it safely.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US