New Guy from Pa

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Jim Hardin

New Guy from Pa

Post by Jim Hardin »

Located in Lancaster, Pa flying with a Bristell Distributor out of LNS.

ATP, CFII - ASEL and Sea, AMEL, Glider but currently only exercising the privileges of a Sport Pilot and CFI.

Flying several LSA's and ELSA's and hope to be able to contribute to the forum.

Don't know everything but don't hesitate to ask :D
Wm.Ince

Re: New Guy from Pa

Post by Wm.Ince »

Jim Hardin wrote:Located in Lancaster, Pa flying with a Bristell Distributor out of LNS.
ATP, CFII - ASEL and Sea, AMEL, Glider but currently only exercising the privileges of a Sport Pilot and CFI.
Flying several LSA's and ELSA's and hope to be able to contribute to the forum.
Don't know everything but don't hesitate to ask :D
Welcome aboard Jim! :)
I sent you a private message.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum. I am training with Al Hubler.

PJ Davis
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Welcome to the forum... I loved flying the Bristell down in Sebring last month even if only for a 30+ minute ride.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
drseti

Post by drseti »

Good to have you aboard, Jim. I run the flight school at KLHV, but get to KLNS pretty frequently, so I'm sure our paths will cross. I love the Bristell, and Rathmell is like a kid brother to me - I'm sure you'll enjoy flying with his operation.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Well thanks for the warm welcome!

Wm.Ince, I got your message and STILL owe you a reply! Got a ground school tonight but hoping I will get it done tomorrow.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Jim Hardin wrote:Wm.Ince, I got your message and STILL owe you a reply! Got a ground school tonight but hoping I will get it done tomorrow.
No sweat Jim. Give me a call whenever you get some time, no hurry here. If I don't answer right away, leave message and I'll get right back to you.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

The question was asked as to what my opinion of the Bristell was. Actually drseti might have some good insights to contribute as well.

I don't consider the controls to be skittish or overreact. In fact they were a bit slower than I thought they would be. That has a payback in stability.

I don't consider the climb to be steller, 7 to 800 is an honest average climb but that is based on the Roxtex 912 UL. The iS (fuel injected) does better but they hide the keys whenever I show up. It is happy doing a full flap with carb heat on go around in the summer (1,500 DA)

Cruise is around 100 Kts but you can push it higher by going to 5,500 RPM. How much I don't know as it is booked so heavy that I can't get cross country time in it :D

The seats are fixed and I think they are a little low so I add a cushion to give me better over the nose visibility. (5' 10) The rudder pedals are adjustable so no problem there. nose wheel is attached to the rudders so steering is limited but it turns in less than its wingspan so breaking (toe brakes) is not used.

Throttle movement vs engine reaction is not linear. It is not real noticeable nor is it a problem, but it is there. Couple others have that too, CTLS & Remos come to mind.

No fuel gages so dip sticking is normal and figuring 6 GPH you will never go wrong!

Off by the 1,000 foot mark so grass strips are normal and our student get that included in training.

Find one and fly it. Airplanes, like cars are a personal preference so you may not be as enthusiastic as I am.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Jim Hardin wrote:. . . "The question was asked as to what my opinion of the Bristell was. Actually drseti might have some good insights to contribute as well." . . .
Okay . . . thanks Jim!
Bill Ince
LSRI