Greetings from Central Louisiana

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

foresterpoole

Greetings from Central Louisiana

Post by foresterpoole »

Just figured I'd introduce myself, brand new to the forum, but I've been reading a lot on the forum over the past month. I got hooked on aviation through my grandfather who was a crew chief on P-38 lightnings in World War 2, he never was a pilot, but he knew his aircraft. I also got to be up close and personal with a lot of aircraft at the Cleveland air shows, EAA fly-ins in Wadsworth Ohio and the US Air Force Museum.

Go figure I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio and moved the Arkansas and Louisiana to go the college and grad school. I'm a forester/forest mensurationist, yes that's a thing (think tree nerd) for a private company and have been in the business for 11 years. I now am to the place in my life: stable job, good income, supportive wife and son where I can start learning to fly and own an aircraft.

I started flying as an observer for work years ago looking for insect damage and anything out of the ordinary I was one of the only guys who did not loose their lunch, I guess the old pilot (also a CFI) we used saw my enthusiasm and he started letting me fly mostly straight and level and some very basic stuff in a '78 Cessna Skyhawk, of course no official logged hours on those flights since it was the company picking up the tab and I was simply supposed to be a passenger. So fast forward and I decided to scratch that itch. I've got a few hours in the Cessna 172 , but I've decided to transition into the LSA (Technam P92) they fly at the FBO. My wife while supportive, gets motion sick in a car so she does not want to fly and since my son is young (3) it will just be me for a while. My hope is to fly LSA for a while and get hours, eventually move up to PPL. Though, I have to say the room and avionics in the Technam vs that old 172 was surprising. Eventually, I'd like to be able to fly to visit relatives in Iowa, Florida, and Ohio during the summers (winter travel seems like it would be problematic in an LSA, if I'm wrong please correct me) as an adventure/vacation since I've got seniority at my job I get 3 weeks of vacation to play with so no rush trying to push it weather wise.

Current plan, subject to change daily, is get a licence, fly a year or two on rented aircraft building hours and then buy either a Sport Cruiser or an Arion Lighting outright or if I can find folks around here as a joint venture. Then if my wife can ever keep her lunch down maybe bump up to 4 seats eventually.

Anyhow thanks for reading and look I forward to learning a lot from the forum and it's members!
Ed
HAPPYDAN

Re: Greetings from Central Louisiana

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Welcome, and I'm guessing you're some where near my age (65?). My dear old Dad, now departed, was drafted, volunteered for flight training, soloed in a J-3 Cub and went on to serve as an A/P Tech SGT in the 5th Air Force. He island hopped across the Pacific and ended up at Clark Field (Philippines) in '45. He originally trained on the Allison engines (P-38, P-39, P-40) but later as bombers became more important worked on Wright-Cyclones And Pratt-Whitney radials.

Sounds like you've got a plan. Let us know how it all works out. Good Luck!
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Hi Dan, just to clarify I'm actually 35 :D ! My grandfather was the P-38 mechanic with the 339th Fighter Squadron, 347th Fighter Group which went to Guadalcanal, Papua New Guinea, etc. I think they were part of the 5th, and some of the only operational lightnings in theater so I'm betting your Dad and my grandfather might have at least walked past one another?!?!
Ed
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Close enough. They were the Greatest Generation (according to Tom Hanks, and me!).
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

^^^^ I wholeheartedly agree!!!
Ed