Hi from an old codger

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

JimC

Hi from an old codger

Postby JimC » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:03 pm

Hi, guys. I bought a J3 and learned to fly in it a bit over 50 years ago. Still my favorite plane, though I also have a soft spot for the PA-11 and PA-12. Used a 3 for search and rescue flying decades ago - enough so that the majority of my landings are still off-field. My other interests are the small Continental engines (and modification thereof), and the flapping flight mechanics of articulated membrane wings.

I tend to like flying old ragwings, Stearman, PT-26, Great Lakes, and most of the old Pipers.

JimC

Re: Hi from an old codger

Postby JimC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:19 am

There are worse things to be in. I like 3's with an O-200 by 337 and a flat prop.

3Dreaming

Postby 3Dreaming » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:00 am

My first airplane ride was in a PA-12 that belonged to my dad's family. It was 52 years ago, and I was to young to remember it or any of the other PA-12 rides for that matter.

I bought a J3 on April 1st, 2006 to use for sport pilot training. I did several tailwheel endorsements. I flew it about 125 hours over a 18 month period. I replaced it with a modern Rotax powered SLSA.

My personal preference is for the airplane CG Taylor designed after leaving Piper. Between my father and myself we have 4 projects from a A40 powered A model to a C90 powered clip wing. Hopefully we get my dad's 41 De Luxe finished up and flying this fall. I would like to give my sons some flight training in it.

Recently I have some time in a Luscombe. It is the oldest flying 8 series airplane. We found one older 8 series airplane registered, but it is a project airplane.

BTW welcome aboard.

JimC

Postby JimC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:43 am

I like both Luscombe and T-Craft (though, off-field, the Luscombe is like riding in the front end of a megaphone). I do seem to have a strong preference for tandem seating.

There is a -8 tied down at my home airstrip that hasn't flown in decades. I think it is a -8F, but haven't looked closely enough to be sure. Several years ago, someone ran a mower into one of its wingtips, so it needs a tip replacement and a leading edge skin.

drseti

Postby drseti » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:15 pm

Welcome aboard, Jim. I'm a fellow old codger (started in a 7AC Champ in 1961). My most recent Cub time was in January, in a 90 HP J3 on floats. Great fun!
Where are you located?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

JimC

Postby JimC » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:09 am

Collierville, TN (about 20 miles east of Memphis).
I learned in a J3 in 1965.
Most recent Cub time, a 100 hp J3 landplane last week.
(Edit - an hour and a half in the J3 with my grandson today)
Non-electric O-200 mounted by 337 because there are no "good" STC's for O-200 installation on a 3.
Currently rebuilding a 160 hp PA-12 landplane with seaplane door.
Spend most of my time working on the flapping flight mechanics and biomechanics of azdharchid pterosaurs.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”