New Guy from Maryland - with a lot to learn....

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

pjdavis

New Guy from Maryland - with a lot to learn....

Post by pjdavis »

Hi,

My Name is P.J. Davis and reside in Freeland, Maryland - 25 miles north of Baltimore. I am 40% through my PPL and have developed a deep interest in LSA's.

I would love to build one. I have mechanical experience and tons of tools and a 3 car garage with big compressor and a lift. Have this stuff because I built a Factory Five Shelby Cobra Replica. Even did the paint myself. Besides I already have a pneumatic rivet gun and tons off cleco's :mrgreen: But I know this is a whole new animal :shock: So I am hoping for guidance and a dose of wisdom.

What to build, the good ones and the ones to stay away from :?: So anyway - here I am to be....

Thanks!

PJ
drseti

Re: New Guy from Maryland - with a lot to learn....

Post by drseti »

The Vans RV-12 is, in IMHO, the best ELSA kit option out there. I've flown it, and it handles beautifully. If a 115 KTAS LSA with 550 pounds useful load and 3 hours range (plus reserve) will suit your mission, it's hard to beat.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of great info on here ... spend some time browsing! I also recommend the Vans kits; unlike you, I can't find the business end of a hammer even with a manual ... *laughing* but if you are that kind of a guy, I agree that the Vans RV-12 kit is probably the best overall. Having said that, there are others and you should consider your mission and preferences.

For example, the Vans has a fuel tank in the fuselage to accommodate removable wings, as I understand it ... some like that, and some don't. It's a low-wing aircraft and some prefer high-wings ... and there are a fair number of used LSAs on the market for pretty reasonable prices ... definitely worth checking those out on controller.com or trade-a-plane.com ... you may well decide that it's more cost-effective to buy a used one, fly it for a while to understand what you truly like or don't like, and then re-sell it and build or buy the exact kind of plane you like.

In Maryland, you should also be in proximity to some rental aircraft -- I live in Texas so can't recommend anything specific but others here might be able to do so. It would probably make some sense to rent some aircraft or get demo rides in some new aircraft to see what you like before committing to any purchase, whether it be a used aircraft or a kit.

There are definitely advantages and disadvantages to E-LSAs vs. S-LSAs (kits vs. manufacturer-made), and you should look it up.

Finally, the Vans forum is fantastic too ... both on the aircraft and the kit-building process. Definitely spend some time over there ... http://www.vansairforce.com

Again, welcome!

Cheers
Joel
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

eyeflygps wrote:The Sonex is a lower cost alternative for a home built.
It's my understanding that Sonex now offers a "quick build" option.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The experimental airplanes mentioned are all great choices, they are just the tip of the iceberg. It all depends on your mission. The great thing is there is something for everybody. Some that come to mind. The Pietenpol from the 1930's is a classic. The Skyote is a nice little aerobatic biplane. The Whitman Buttercup was a neat plane from the 1940's. The list is almost endless. Take your time do some research and find something that matches your personality.
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the input. Joel - Yes there is a place in MD - Chesapeake Sport Pilot - on the eastern shore of the state and they have an RV - 12 - I have a demo flight scheduled for this Wednesday at noon.

PJ
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

pjdavis wrote:Hi Guys!

Thanks for the input. Joel - Yes there is a place in MD - Chesapeake Sport Pilot - on the eastern shore of the state and they have an RV - 12 - I have a demo flight scheduled for this Wednesday at noon.

PJ
Good people. Say hi to Helen for me, and possibly try out their Sky Arrow as well. Not for everyone - it's relatively heavy and slow and the tandem seating may be a deal-breaker for some - but the nearly unlimited visibility and the really responsive controls are quite addicting. Really high build quality as well. I love mine.

If I were to replace the Sky Arrow, the RV12 would be very high on my short list. And, to reiterate, any SLSA can be converted to an ELSA, but that's a topic that's been well covered in other threads.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

If you're not restricted to experimentals that meet the LSA definitions, there's a wide variety to choose from. You're mission as well as the type of build you want to do will help you narrow down your choices. If I had the time for a more involved build and was positive I could pass a medical, I would seriously consider the Bearhawk. Awesome airplane that offers practically every time of build (tube and fabric fuselage, riveted aluminum wings, fiberglass bits and pieces). You can scratch build it, or get a full kit, or anywhere in between. There's also an LSA variant.

Welcome!

Bruce
- Bruce
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Yes - I flew the RV 12 at Chesapeake Sport Pilot today - fun plane! Fast Eddie - I said hi to Helen for you....she charged me double! Yikes....