Hi from Florida

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

agrimm01

Hi from Florida

Post by agrimm01 »

Hi, my name is Andy Grimm from NE Florida. I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while. I've always wanted to get a pilots license and am going to retire in two weeks so I hope to start flying very soon. I'm still not positive if I should go for LS, Rec or PPL but am leaning towards LS or Rec since I could always get the PPL later.

But, I wanted to give a huge shout out to Prof. H. Paul Shuch. I watched his EAA Webinar (Airspace Ace - Sampling the Alphabet Soup) last night and he gave an excellent presentation on Airspace. I feel like I understand most it now. And that's saying something!!

Again Thank You Paul!!

V/r
Andy
Wm.Ince

Re: Hi from Florida

Post by Wm.Ince »

Andy,

Welcome to the best light sport forum on the internet!
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Andy, welcome. You can move up to private pilot from either sport or recreational. If all you want is sport pilot privileges, but the medical is not an issue I would definitely look a the recreational certificate. The reason is that it provides more aircraft options for training and flying after you get your certificate. Other than the medical the training time will be about the same as for a sport pilot certificate.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Hey Andy! I, too started this new and exciting chapter in my life after retirement. I was 64 when I started, and there have been a few rough times. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks, but taking lessons from someone a third my age has been challenging at times. Good luck with your endeavor. Like they say, "The sky's the limit!".
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Welcome, Andy! Where in N FL are you? I grew up (well, sorta) on the west side of Jax. I live in central FL now.

I'm 3 or 4 years from retirement and working on my Sport ticket at First Landings in Apopka. I can serve as a bad example if you need one. :)
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
agrimm01

Post by agrimm01 »

Half Fast wrote:Welcome, Andy! Where in N FL are you? I grew up (well, sorta) on the west side of Jax. I live in central FL now.

I'm 3 or 4 years from retirement and working on my Sport ticket at First Landings in Apopka. I can serve as a bad example if you need one. :)
Thanks, I live just south of Orange Park on Fleming Island.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm meeting to discuss with instructor this week on which way to go.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

agrimm01 wrote:
Yep, know the area well. I have an uncle near you, and my grandparents lived in Orange Park. I grew up in Wesconnett, but my folks moved out to Middleburg when they retired.

Where will you be flying? Herlong? Or is there something closer?
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
agrimm01

Post by agrimm01 »

Half Fast wrote:
agrimm01 wrote:
Yep, know the area well. I have an uncle near you, and my grandparents lived in Orange Park. I grew up in Wesconnett, but my folks moved out to Middleburg when they retired.

Where will you be flying? Herlong? Or is there something closer?

Herlong would be the closest but I'm going to talk with Dana at Craig this week so that's not settled yet.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Half Fast wrote: I grew up (well, sorta) on the west side of Jax.
I'm glad you qualified that. Decades ago, my son told me "I want to be a pilot when I grow up." I replied "sorry, son, you can't have it both ways."
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

A dear late friend used to crew for me when I was racing. He had a sticker on his toolbox that said, "You're never too old to have a happy childhood."

I've tried to make that my motto.
1/2
----------------
designrs

Post by designrs »

agrimm01 wrote: Herlong would be the closest but I'm going to talk with Dana at Craig this week so that's not settled yet.
Welcome Andy! Dana Holladay was the instructor with whom I finished my training with several years ago. Dana and Meredith are unquestionably two of the best instructors you can ever work with. I followed them to Florida and they are my mentors. It will be well worth the short drive.

They have several well maintained Cessnas, a CubCrafters Sport Cub and my 2011 SportCruiser which can be used for both Sport or Private Pilot training.

http://www.holladayaviation.com/sport-pilot/

and

http://www.holladayaviation.com/about-us/

They are currently in Oshkosh for Airventre, returning to the office on Saturday.

Meanwhile, please feel free to PM me for more info.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
tailwind

Post by tailwind »

Hi Andy! Palm Beach County here. Good luck!